New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Is Robo immortal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Obviously, he can be killed, dismantled or turned off.

But do you think Robo could outlive his human life expectancy? He's gor an organic system, but do you think the robotic part of him would keep him living longer?

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
gez1967
drop it . dead or alive your coming with me

L-L3

Comment: looking for me

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote

he would have to die at some point good pot tho

RB 1158

robocop3-gunarm ultra1 dc-superman VoorHees-Mask ultra5 remake1 transformers-icon1 batman-Batmobile
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote

If we go by the idea that Robo mostly consist of some small chunks of meat, a spine and brain, then that brain would at some point get old and deteriorate.

So i don't think Robo is immortal as such, but yeah, perhaps due to his brain tech/implants he might live longer than a usual human.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :

I think you answered your own question, Jim...

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
JimWantsAliens :

Lol, I was going for a snappy title.

It was more like, how far into the future could he live? I agree with Archive, I think he could outlive his human counterparts. But ultimately the human parts of him would die. But could those be replaced, eventually could he be a robot but with memories of Alex Murphy's life?

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Corporate Wars script and Dark Horse's RvT have played with the idea that he could live for many years in "sleep mode", and get back online in the future.

If we want to be realistic, I agree with Archive, his organic tissue should at some point deteriorate, cells dying and not renewing, etc. Although the sci-fi universe he lives in could see more technological and scientific innovations that could extend his life or create an AI duplicate of him, but that would stop being Robo as it was created in the original movies.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Corporate Wars script and Dark Horse's RvT have played with the idea that he could live for many years in "sleep mode", and get back online in the future.

If we want to be realistic, I agree with Archive, his organic tissue should at some point deteriorate, cells dying and not renewing, etc. Although the sci-fi universe he lives in could see more technological and scientific innovations that could extend his life or create an AI duplicate of his, but that would stop being Robo as it was created in the original movies.

Pretty much this. I don't think 'Murphy' would really continue on for very long, be it in flesh or in soul. At least not as we know him, as said. The machine could be much more perpetual, but even then mechanical components still decay and break down. Nothing lasts forever.

That said, I do think he could certainly last longer than a typical human though without much issue. But eternally? Nah.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote

This recent quote from Verhoeven (sep 2016) seems to hint on the idea that even Murphy's brain is more robotic than actual brain or maybe I'm misunderstanding what he is trying to say.

Paul Verheoven :
Somehow they seem to think that the lightness of say Total Recall and Robocop is a hindrance. So they take these somewhat absurd stories and make them much too serious. I think that is a mistake. Especially in Robocop when he awakens they gave him the same brain. He’s a horribly injured and amputated victim, which is horrifying and tragic from the very beginning. So we didn’t do that in Robocop.

His brain is gone and he has only flashes of memory and needs to go to a computer to find out who he even is. I think by not having a robot brain, you make the movie much heavier and I don’t think that helps the movie in anyway. It becomes more silly or absurd, but in the wrong way.

I think the concept of Alex Murphy being a kind of ghost in the machine is interesting and if the "soul" somehow got merged with the machine that way Robo could potentially live forever.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Hmm, I always understood that quote as a reference when he actually goes to the police database and uses his spike to find about himself. But it's true he is then saying he has a "robot brain".

Now, I find that question having much heavier implications than just his immortality. It's interesting to explore, but we can just speculate, because of the little technological details we are given to work with.

Yet, if they "erase" his memory, it might be that they duplicated his brain into a computer, and then just erased what they didn't need, his past memories. That's what they really wanted right? The human intelligence that ED-209 doesn't have. An interpretation like that could completely change the idea we have of Murphy/Robo, as his consciousness and identity would just be a copy and now is acting like a software bug, a bunch of binary data that was not properly erased, hence there wouldn't be a true continuity between the real Murphy and the machine Murphy. I definitely would find fascinating a story that went that path, it would be a punch in the face though, like the sugestion that Deckard was a replicant in Blade Runner.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
JimWantsAliens :

Lol Laughing

RB 4892

Ed-260
Victorboris1
O-L4

O-L4

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote

It would be really awesome if the IP owners came up with a comic series exploring the future of Robocop long after Murphy's organic parts have died off.

RB 36

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote

More importantly, imagine an aged and battered Robo sauntering on. I think it is a continuation story that could be told so well in the right hands. What if the brain completely died? In the original story I don't think there is as much "bypass".

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
More importantly, imagine an aged and battered Robo sauntering on. I think it is a continuation story that could be told so well in the right hands. What if the brain completely died? In the original story I don't think there is as much "bypass".

This..I've always been a advocate of this idea with Murphy..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
RoboDemise :

This..I've always been a advocate of this idea with Murphy..

Definitely would be very interesting to see how an aged Murphy connects with new tech. This could open up so many ethical storylines for OCP for how they deal with this...

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard