New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Is Robo immortal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
RoboDemise :
More importantly, imagine an aged and battered Robo sauntering on. I think it is a continuation story that could be told so well in the right hands. What if the brain completely died? In the original story I don't think there is as much "bypass".

This..I've always been a advocate of this idea with Murphy..

Edd 209 :
Definitely would be very interesting to see how an aged Murphy connects with new tech. This could open up so many ethical storylines for OCP for how they deal with this...

Same here, this was always a big element on my thoughts of a Corporate Wars-ish sequel-reboot involving a long overdue Murphy, be it one that has carried on or even has 'hibernated' and now brought back but isn't quite the same, either way. A lot could be made out of this for sure, and combined with many other great elements of Robo we know so well - I think this is very much what Neumeier and Miner would have been able to do had they been given an actual shot to iron things out.

Prime Directives touched on this a tad, and actually might have been able to make something of it had it been done with even an iota of actual love and care from, well, pretty much anybody that was involved.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote

I guess I should answer the question that is this topic. The answer is No. I believe that they have the tech to save his memories, thoughts, dreams, whatever. But even if his consciousness was transferred to something, that is still a copy or clone, and not him. I feel at least. I don't buy the whole live forever, upload your "everything" into a hard drive or some shit. Bullshit. You are dead. Some program replicating you lives on.

Organically I feel that he would actually live less time with all the trauma his brain has gone through. Although it is in a nice clean and sterile capsule I would imagine the risk of infection and rejection of the whole body would be a real and constant concern. This is one of the few things I liked about the new movie. I liked that they were cleaning the blood and feeding him that way, administering antibiotics. Plus they could put some anti depressants right in there. I thought that was pretty satirical and cool.

An old RoboCop would be a neat story I think. I can see it going a million different ways in my head. Maybe that's how it could go. A bunch of mini stories, some great battles and moments over the years, and it ends with him shutting down for good and it was his life flashing before his eyes. Sees himself dying at the end in a mirror but doesn't see the suit/body. Just looks normal.

In reply To Johans quote from Verhoeven.... It is hard for me to understand exactly what he is saying there, but I agree with you on the soul concept being interesting.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
I guess I should answer the question that is this topic. The answer is No. I believe that they have the tech to save his memories, thoughts, dreams, whatever. But even if his consciousness was transferred to something, that is still a copy or clone, and not him. I feel at least. I don't buy the whole live forever, upload your "everything" into a hard drive or some shit. Bullshit. You are dead. Some program replicating you lives on.

That revolves again around how much of robotic his brain is or not. I don't think if they needed a human brain to build him was just to transfer the brain's "data" to a harddrive. That wouldn't make any sense, if they need him is because they need at least parts of his brain that are still not possible to replicate with technology, as Ed-209's subpar AI proves.

However, it's funny to think how with Robo they achieved probably one of the most, if not THE most important landmark ever achievable, bringing the dead back to life. It's as if the franchise played down or sidelined that ashtonishing fact, it's so much more important to have a cyborg cop patrolling the streets that nobody in the universe takes a second to stop and think about the scientific implications of having a walking dead in front of their eyes.

For that I have to say I kind of understand they didn't kill Murphy in the remake, even if the story lost a lot of emotional power, rationally speaking it makes more sense.

OCP could multiply its profits by trillions by offering the chance to resurrect a dead brain instead of selling law enforcement robots. Also, if Robo is a prototype, what was Bob Morton's idea for producing hundreads or thousands of Robos? To use a dead cop for each of them? Maybe Robo was an experiment to gather all the data from his experience and then replicate it with a true AI, that could actually make sense.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote

I liked hearing Verhoeven's input on the human and robot brain. Thanks for sharing that. I guess the concept of human soul is the part of Murphy that remains influencing the machine. I always thought of Robocop as a man living inside this machine, but I see how that can end up being very emotionally heavy. The Robocop remake has some difficulty reconciling that (I am thinking of the scene where Alex sees what is left of him). That being the case, I like the traditional notion that Robocop is this machine (made to look human for the sake of the citizens he serves), but happens to retain some of the soul/humanity of the human that he once was. It doesn't leave the character much of a future unless if he can somehow grow as he lives on. While the Prime Directives show attempted to do this, it almost seems counterintuitive since (according to Verhoeven), Robocop is not human anymore (physically). Machines/computers can learn and adapt to be more efficient or accessible, but not like a person can. I guess we can just be satisfied in knowing that Robocop is like no other machine and can do things that surprise us. Or I can just stop trying to apply logic to fictional scenarios.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard