New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New Robo Movie in the works at MGM ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Looks like it’s starting to take a Corporate Wars-esque shape. As off beat as it sounds. Tulsa? Maybe they’re going with that 2000AD feel like in the CW draft...maybe a ‘Tulsa-Plex’ or whatever. And if that’s the case I’d personally like to see them go the BR2049 route as far as production design. Take the original’s concept of the future and expand on that instead of expanding on today’s technology and having the concept catch up to us like the reboot did. Because to me RoboCop doesn’t belong in our real world timeline he belongs in that specific dystopia set up in the first movie and that’s something I thought the sequels cared less and less about as they went along. The minimalist vision for RoboCop should be steel and concrete, not iPhones and plastic.
I just hope they hire a good director who agrees with Ed and Michael’s vision and hopefully MGM will be hands off as far as creative control since that’s a big part of why the original worked the way it did; Davison and Orion leaving well enough alone and being supportive at the same time.
And yes, I’m all about doing some set visits. Maybe we could get more of the gang together next time. 😀

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Thank you POCOBOR for the Robo news hunt! Much appreciated Smile

The possibility of it being animated was interesting, but i'm glad that won't be the case. After the remake fail I was afraid that MGM wasn't ready to cough up the cash for a live action movie, and that they'd go the Starship Troopers route instead. It's good that the faith in Robo is still stong.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote

The animated films have a much smaller audience and don't make much money. It'd be a waste of developing a proper RoboCop sequel with the original writers and not have it be live-action.

RB 306

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Judge Black :
The animated films have a much smaller audience and don't make much money. It'd be a waste of developing a proper RoboCop sequel with the original writers and not have it be live-action.

Yep. Also, having an iconic character and going into animated would feel a cheap move. While I wouldn´t mind an animated version, having Ed Neumeier on board and taking his ideas into a cartoon doesn´t sound right.

As for budget, I don´t know if they´d need a big one to make it work. Look at "Dredd": it was "cheap" and worked well. You had futuristic buildings with a poor enviroment. Yep, they spend a lot of that flick inside one, but I think with technology they could make anything decent. And for the main character, they don´t even need to design RoboCop: just call Bottin and let a team of their mates gave the original one. Just like in The Series or PD.

Avoid any chance to get close to RebootCop, bring the Poledouris RoboMarch back with a decent composer and get people from the old crew (c´mon Verhoeven, you wanted to make it in the past) and give us this. We´ll see if we love it or think it´s impossible to recreate the same feeling, but it would be a great chance to enjoy something we could watch back in the early 90´s.

Another thing: One of the big themes they could exploit is the media/communications: Ed did it with TV in 1987; from earlier internet in 1997 (Starship Troopers). He could move that into social media and things like that with this one. And he usually nails these kind of satire, so if he´s still in shape, it´d be cool to laugh at that one more time. I missed that kind of humour on the rest of the series.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote

Very good points about it being live action and I have to concur. Though unfortunately that makes me in some ways more skeptical rather than less. Still though, I agree that it is a good sign of support. Now here's hoping they get he rest of it right. Would love for it to take some kind of Corporate Wars shape. I agree with you about keeping that simple tone and grit to the look of it though - like you said Poco, steel and concrete. Some 'current'/'new' bits maybe, but yes, much of it should be cold and brutal, just like Sandell said about the original.

Chanood :
Another thing: One of the big themes they could exploit is the media/communications: Ed did it with TV in 1987; from earlier internet in 1997 (Starship Troopers). He could move that into social media and things like that with this one. And he usually nails these kind of satire, so if he´s still in shape, it´d be cool to laugh at that one more time. I missed that kind of humour on the rest of the series.

Oh yes, this. The CW story had 'rapid fire' news 'blips' - given the very short span of most "news" bites and stuff today and how it usually all breaks on social media first, not to mention the prevalence of social media by itself, can surely roll all that thing in and exploit it for some good satirical humor (and I quote "news" because it's usually tripe, making it even more ripe for the satirical picking). The political and military climate is ripe for it as well. I agree this was a aspect that later projects fell quite short on.. The '94 Series had faint shades of it, but still, needs to go to that real 'RoboCop' level.

Bah, we all know what needs to be done. As does Miner and Neumeier. Heres' hoping they don't get pissed around with much on it.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote

POCOBOR :
The minimalist vision for RoboCop should be steel and concrete, not iPhones and plastic.

I totally disagree, if they are doing a new Robocop movie I want it to have cutting edge satire, not be a quaint tribute to an era I never even lived through. This, again, why i hope they throw out the Corporate Wars script and whatever outdated ideas they have had stuck collecting dust in a drawer for 20 years. Give me a 21st century Robocop story, and maybe he will have a chance of surviving in the 21st century!

ChAnOoD :
Also, having an iconic character and going into animated would feel a cheap move.

ChAnOoD :
As for budget, I don´t know if they´d need a big one to make it work.

ChAnOoD :
Just like in The Series or PD.

Yeah, how about not? I will always have a soft spot for the Series in my heart, but I damn sure would rather see an animated feature than anything that is "just like in the Series or PD". Have you seen the trailer for Spider-Verse? It looks like classic heroes can have a place on the big screen in an animated feature. I definitely don't think that would cheapen the character, but what would is using the same rehashed ideas that we have been since the 80's. How about we don't do something "just like" something else, for once, and do something original with the character? I know it is the scariest thing, which is why it has not been done in so long, but I truly believe that is the only way for the character to grow. A pure nostalgia flick is bound to crash and burn, just like the title of the last episode of PD!

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Have you seen the trailer for Spider-Verse?

Saw it, and while I think it has style, I think Spiderfans would be pissed if they discover that´d be the only incarnation of the character, and they wouldn´t have more movies with actors on it Laughing

I´m not against an animated Robo, but if I´d have to choose, I´d choose to see the gorgeous Bottin design back in all its fiberglass glory, specially when the last time we saw RoboCop, he was a big, black rubber dildo. Also, I think giving Neumeier, Miner and Verhoeven the chance to do their RoboCop 2 the old way would be a nice way to say "thank you" to the makers of the character.

Again, I don´t think budget would be a big issue (hell, Netflix´s Daredevil looks more believeable than the CGI videogame style of the Marvel movies), its a matter of knowing what to do with the story and not getting over the top with the computer. Spend the bucks in fake blood and go wild with these things, not with RoboCop jumping like Super Mario to make him cool tongue

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :

Yeah, how about not? I will always have a soft spot for the Series in my heart, but I damn sure would rather see an animated feature than anything that is "just like in the Series or PD". Have you seen the trailer for Spider-Verse? It looks like classic heroes can have a place on the big screen in an animated feature. I definitely don't think that would cheapen the character, but what would is using the same rehashed ideas that we have been since the 80's. How about we don't do something "just like" something else, for once, and do something original with the character? I know it is the scariest thing, which is why it has not been done in so long, but I truly believe that is the only way for the character to grow. A pure nostalgia flick is bound to crash and burn, just like the title of the last episode of PD!

This gets to the crux of the issue; a film that looks as well made as 'Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse' has a big-budget and it has a big-budget because it's Spider-Man –arguably the most popular superhero in the world, certainly the most profitable– and even for that character this is a risk – it has yet to prove itself at the box-office.

MGM would be faced with the choice to spend decent money on a cartoon or a live-action RoboCop – either way it's expensive. The answer is simple: live-action will attract a larger audience. Trying to sell what could be an R-rated cartoon to a mass audience with a character like RoboCop would be very difficult. I don't see it working. Netflix maybe.

There's been no indication that whatever they come up with will be a nostalgia-fest, especially if, ironically, they're going back to their original idea of a sequel being completely different.

RB 306

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
The possibility of it being animated was interesting, but i'm glad that won't be the case. After the remake fail I was afraid that MGM wasn't ready to cough up the cash for a live action movie, and that they'd go the Starship Troopers route instead. It's good that the faith in Robo is still stong.

To be honest, although the remake wasn't a runaway success, it wasn't a total commercial flop either, particularly overseas. Deadpool had a budget of $70m and felt big enough for what it was. RoboCop is never gonna be Star Wars or Avengers, but I think it should exist in that Deadpool kind of level of production. (Mind you, look at RoboCop 2 - does any other film released in 1990 look like a bigger blockbuster? Total Recall and Back To The Future 3 are the only two I can think that come close.) If the live-action film is a success, there's no reason they couldn't do a straight-to-DVD animation as well, but I agree it's nice to see faith in Robo is strong.

I think the world-building thing is interesting. Although it's always a fine-line between introducing too many irrelevant elements to the film as a standalone like Batman v Superman or The Mummy 2017. If the film is a coherent whole, audiences will want more anyway. But with Ed and Michael on board one thing is assured, it will have their tone! They are very inimitable writers, so rather than hiring people to create something LIKE them, we get the real thing.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
But with Ed and Michael on board one thing is assured, it will have their tone! They are very inimitable writers, so rather than hiring people to create something LIKE them, we get the real thing.

Nothing is assured. Have you paid any attention to this space in hollywood in recent years? Writers get pushed aside and/or replaced last minute, these movies go through extensive rewrites and the original screeplay's DNA is often fundamentally altered by the time of the end product. Just because a name is attached in the beginning doesn't really mean anything. Remember how Darren Aronofsky wrote and directed the Robocop remake? Well, for a long time it seemed like it was gonna really happen. Not the only name it has passed through. It is nice to see the original creators returning to Robocop, but let's see if they even make it through one screenplay before getting too excited and assured of how the movie is gonna be.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Robocop_Unit_1983
C-L2

C-L2

Troop Commander

Comment: I'm having...trouble...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:15 am Reply with quote

I'm happy to see something's up with Robocop this year, and I think an 80's type of scenario could definitely work, and I for one would be in favor because I remember the 80's well enough. Ed Neumier seems like the logical choice for this, and although I never read Corporate Wars, the concept sounds interesting to me.

RB 2850

award ED-209 hamburger
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Robocop_Unit_1983 :
I'm happy to see something's up with Robocop this year, and I think an 80's type of scenario could definitely work, and I for one would be in favor because I remember the 80's well enough. Ed Neumier seems like the logical choice for this, and although I never read Corporate Wars, the concept sounds interesting to me.

I think the intention is, like The Corporate Wars, to set it 2-3 decades or so after the original. It makes the most sense.

RB 306

Robocop_Unit_1983
C-L2

C-L2

Troop Commander

Comment: I'm having...trouble...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote

Robocop_Unit_1983 :

Ah, I see what I did there, so I'm going to make a correction to what I said. (Just to be on the safe side)

What I meant to say as far as an 80's scenario, I meant as in the themes and issues common in the 80's, like The Reaganistic Corporatism, militarization of police, and many other things that made the original Robocop film a success, and which were also pretty much reality until very recently.

Judge Black :
I think the intention is, like The Corporate Wars, to set it 2-3 decades or so after the original. It makes the most sense.

Ok... I think I can get behind that, it'll be weird but I guess it can work if done right, just as long as it stays true to the original "old school" concept of Robocop.

RB 2850

award ED-209 hamburger
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote

if they can recreate the look and feel of a screwed up detroit of the first film's time period, that's half the battle and it might be good. i've always said if the special effects were better in part one meaning if sfx were twenty years ahead of where they were back then, it would have won more oscars than it did

now on to casting. please don't give us one of the three or four non american actors that always get named for every movie lead regardless of what it may be.

RB 743

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard