New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Basil Poledouris vs Leonard Rosenman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Though I've come to appreciate and like Rosenman's "2" score over the last 28 years - I've always felt it was vastly inferior to Poledouris's masterful work on "1" and "3".

I really do feel "2" would've been better accepted if Poledouris had scored the movie. Each and every Poledouris motif is so iconic to RoboCop - I feel it would have energised what we saw on the screen so much better.

Kershner felt Poledouris's score from the original was "too mechanical" (hello! It's a story about a cyborg cop!). Though I realise most (if not everyone) has seen this before - here's a little taster of "2" with the Poledouris score. Though us purists immediately attach the music to scenes from the first film...I think it makes this scene so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9WW3Pfp8E

Does anybody know how to rip the score from a film? I've always intended to add Poledouris music over the film. Even if that means borrowing from all of Poledouris's body of film compositions (and not just "1" and "3").

If a new RoboCop sequel is put into production I truly hope the composer utilises Poledouris's score. It needs to "feel" like RoboCop.

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote

99% of the audience prefer Poledouris score, wich feel more epic.
But I will always find Rosenman's score more fitting with Robo2 because this is the way
I've discovered it the first time so in a way this score and the movie can't be separated in my mind.

The R2 workprint features the score of Poledouris and it kinda fits too, but that's not the same feeling.

If you want my personal opinion, the Poledouris score really translates the rebirth of Murphy and his
rise while the Rosenman score translates something more tragic, but not epic.Murphy remains a cyborg during
R2, yes at one point he becomes robo PC and fights these directives, but that's not as epic as a human
becoming a cyborg.

I wish Varese would release the complete Rosenman score thought.

RB 1199

game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote

I must speak up in defense of the Robo 2 score. It had something that the first didn't: flair. Now, the original score is perfect for the film, so nothing more need be said about that. But Robocop 2's score lived up to the sequel I thought, not trying to do the same thing again but present a slicker product. That's the plot of Robocop 2 after all, and even things like the cheesy chorus of "ROOOBOOOCOOOP" works for me there.

What doesn't work for me as much is the score of Robocop 3. Aside from the returning music from Robo 1, which is great, I found Poledouris's new contriubutions to Robocop 3 were not nearly as in synch with the film thematically as the first time around. The compositions are not the problem, but I almost feel some would be better suited in other films, as his work there is often quite somber and procedural. This is the first time I have ever really compared the scores, but not the first time I've felt that way about the Robo 3 score. Some of it just feels to generic, too morbid for the screen. Of course, he might not have expected the PG-13, more kid friendly romp, but in the movie that finds room for splatterpunks, 'loyal as a puppy', and pimpmobiles, I could have used more of the bounce of the original.

Altogether, the first movie's is the only one that really nailed it, with classic, memorable themes, and humble passages that let the action on screen shine. But I respect Robocop 2's score for trying something different but still capturing the spirit well. Robocop 3's score also services the film well, but didn't add anything too memorable and at times was a little bland, to me. But here is my problem with the video edit you shared: with Robo's theme, it's too predictable. That is a triumphant piece, whereas Rosenman's piece perfectly captures the tension of the moment. You really don't know it's over until it's over and that brain is smashed, and I love how the score in the film swells with the chaos and deflates just as quick and Robocain's lifeless body flops to the ground.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote

I like R2 score, but R1 has so much more depth to it.

For me it's not just a discussion about the epic and iconic songs and moments that are remembered better, but all the other minor background songs blending with the scenes that are more plot and character-driven, or just atmospheric (opening Detroit landscape with the title card for example), adding layers of texture and emotion much lacking in R2.

If I say "Murphy Dies", "Robo lives", "Murphy's Dream", "Murphy Goes Home", "Clarence Frags Bob", "Robo drives to Jones". you'll be picturing in your mind whole scenes with their music, and none of these are the action-packed ones. I barely can think of the R2 non-epic songs, no matter how many times I've watched that movie.

I wonder how Poledouris would have adapted the music to the big change of tone from R1 to R2. He kind of adapted to R3 screenplay adding more adventure/epic and some melancholy to the soundtrack.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Excellent responses. This is what I wanted...a good natured debate where we dissect the scores and their differentiation. I'm at work at the moment but will check in with a more detailed response when I'm able to.

Keep 'em coming guys. It's a really interesting topic - and it's great to hear people's thoughts on this.

RB 3079

NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote

I think much of my problem with the Rosenman score is that so much of it sounds like ambient noise. It feels very 60's/70's in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkZAfoaEw8

From 0.01 seconds that brass "RoboCop 2 the bad guy" theme that plays throughout the movie and again at 0.16 seconds sounds so generic. This coupled with the over-the-top percussion sounds just makes it feel like Rosenman phoned the score in.

He was probably rushed to create the score with the infamous Orion executives rushing to get the movie into a summer release. I don't dislike it these days, I think parts of it are really good - I just think Poledouris would've brought so much more to it.

I do think "3" is the definitive Robo score. It's the "cleanest" version of the famous motifs. I do however think that the classic RoboCop theme itself is lacking. There's a string part that sounds too high.

RB 3079

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote

NukeLord :
I think much of my problem with the Rosenman score is that so much of it sounds like ambient noise. It feels very 60's/70's in parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkZAfoaEw8

Not a big fan of the Robo 2 score. It´s like the movie itself: too ugly tongue But I admit the leit motiv, with all the percusive stuff and drums are quite nice. Sadly, the soundtrack lacks of Poledouris punch and makes the whole thing darker instead of bombastic like R1 or 3. In that particular scene it feels like random notes; it can help in the movie, but I´d find difficult to enjoy that hearing the soundtrack. Lacks melody.

What I didn´t notice before is that they cut a line from Nancy in that scene. She opens her mouth to say something and quick cut to her throwing the Nuke can. My brain can be wrong, but I think I remember her saying something like "do you want it". Maybe in the comic book adaptation?

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote

NukeLord :
I think much of my problem with the Rosenman score is that so much of it sounds like ambient noise.

Cute. No offense, but I doubt you have actually ever listened to ambient noise. The Nurse With Wound album Homotopy to Marie is probably the most classic example, but The Gerogerigegege's Moenai Hai is my favorite. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/KK8gSSYbgHs

People love using 'noise' as an insult, as if it wasn't a genre of music with a longstanding history and diverse palette of subgenres. Dark ambient / ambient noise predates Robocop in general, and the Robocop 2 score doesn't really have anything to do with the genre, which is a genre I enjoy, so I'm failing to see the 'problem' as you describe it. Seems like you just think the score isn't memorable enough, if it was actually noise you would know it.

RB 1658

NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
NukeLord :
I think much of my problem with the Rosenman score is that so much of it sounds like ambient noise.

Cute. No offense, but I doubt you have actually ever listened to ambient noise. The Nurse With Wound album Homotopy to Marie is probably the most classic example, but The Gerogerigegege's Moenai Hai is my favorite. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/KK8gSSYbgHs

People love using 'noise' as an insult, as if it wasn't a genre of music with a longstanding history and diverse palette of subgenres. Dark ambient / ambient noise predates Robocop in general, and the Robocop 2 score doesn't really have anything to do with the genre, which is a genre I enjoy, so I'm failing to see the 'problem' as you describe it. Seems like you just think the score isn't memorable enough, if it was actually noise you would know it.

It's hardly an "insult". Smile I like parts of Rosenman's score as I infer above. With the "Overture", "Happier Days", "RoboCruiser" and "Robo Memories" being particular favourites. The rest does sound like generic "filler" throughout the movie and comes across as background noise - I've heard this countless times in critic and fan opinions/reviews of the score. It's hardly me making a bold, original statement about the score. Nor did I wish to make one. I'm talking in retrospect of a film 28 years ago - in which every opinion under the sun has been thrown around, including mine.

To reiterate. I like Rosenman's score - I just feel Poledouris's work was superior and it would've given the film just that little extra oomph. Both in the action scenes and in the more dramatic scenes.

RB 3079

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote

NukeLord :

Robopimp :
People love using 'noise' as an insult

NukeLord :
It's hardly an "insult".

You just said it was the problem. Now that's not an insult? So which is it, the problem or not an insult?

In either case, you have still misused the term "ambient noise". That would be like me saying much of my problem with the Poledouris score is that so much of it sounds like bebop jazz.

RB 1658

NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
NukeLord :

Robopimp :
People love using 'noise' as an insult

NukeLord :
It's hardly an "insult".

You just said it was the problem. Now that's not an insult? So which is it, the problem or not an insult?

In either case, you have still misused the term "ambient noise". That would be like me saying much of my problem with the Poledouris score is that so much of it sounds like bebop jazz.

It's a "problem" in that I don't feel parts of the score work very well. Maybe I should've articulated it as "in my opinion parts of the score are problematic because certain parts either do not fit the movie or sound too generic". A jazz number in "City Mayhem"? We've all discussed this before - the strands of opinion already exist...I didn't think I had to be completely concise in my choice of vocabulary. Smile

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on the word "problem". Smile Chill.

RB 3079

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote

NukeLord :
Does anybody know how to rip the score from a film? I've always intended to add Poledouris music over the film. Even if that means borrowing from all of Poledouris's body of film compositions (and not just "1" and "3").

I´m sad to tell you that, but I guess you could only do that if you have the original stuff from the studio (and I´m not sure you could make it possible even with the masters). Movies back then were mono or stereo, and usually translate them into HD with "fake" 5.1 (just split some effects here and there). Even with more recent productions you´d have problems (tried to edit RoboCop: PD, but even with the so called 5.1 you have music + FX + music together, so it´s impossible to separate those).

But hey, if you find a new way to do that, let us know Smile

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
NukeLord :

I´m sad to tell you that, but I guess you could only do that if you have the original stuff from the studio (and I´m not sure you could make it possible even with the masters). Movies back then were mono or stereo, and usually translate them into HD with "fake" 5.1 (just split some effects here and there). Even with more recent productions you´d have problems (tried to edit RoboCop: PD, but even with the so called 5.1 you have music + FX + music together, so it´s impossible to separate those).

But hey, if you find a new way to do that, let us know Smile

Yep, sounds doubtful. It seems possible to isolate the score itself from the picture...hence the "2" and "3" scores on YouTube that were never released....but impossible to isolate the sound and dialogue from the score.

RB 3079

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote

NukeLord :
Maybe I should've articulated it as "in my opinion parts of the score are problematic because certain parts either do not fit the movie or sound too generic"

That is a better way of stating it without a fundamental misunderstanding of great genres of music!

RB 1658

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard