New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop Cable TV Edit HD Restoration Project

kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 am Reply with quote

Greetings fellow Robocop fans. I have been working on this project for over a year now, I was gonna share on this forum but I wasn't a member yet and while awaiting verification my mind just kind of drifted and my personal life plus this project took over. But now I'm back, I've shared this on fanedit.org (and it will likely be released there) but I know you guys will appreciate the hell out of it like I do, Robocop being one of my all time favorite movies. I have many versions of the edit to draw resources from. I originally started it in widescreen, but as the months went by and I continued editing, I moved it to 4:3 to fit more with the network TV style, it'll still be in HD though. Here's some snippets of what I've been working on:

"Why me" (back when this project was still in widescreen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMFMLAgJu8&

Remastered TV trailer that played right before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXS0YmDKeKc

Clarence Getting Arrested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0RIaHFK10

Murphy's Death (comparison):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfukWcWgpE

I have almost all of the alternate footage. If anyone has personal recordings of the robocop tv edit, and would like to share them with me to contribute, that would be amazing.

RB 71

POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote

I love this project! I’ve been seeing these on YouTube, great work. I had my recording of the World Premiere on ABC for years but I lost it during a move. I really miss that tape so I can’t wait for the finished product.

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote

Good luck with the project! Saw some of your videos before; sounds fun! Not sure if they did the same for Europe back in the day, but I remember some channel put RoboCop 2 at 15:30! Kinda insane to put that film in the afternoon.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote

What are the alternate segments ?

RB 1199

game-xbox
kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote

HOB888 :
What are the alternate segments ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyoDt6t33dw
Here's a compilation of some of them. One of the most infamous is instead of Clarence running down the toxic melted Emil, they re-shot it so he drives around him. They also have different takes/angles of violent shots that either obscure blood/gore or cut it entirely. Like Kinney just flies back when ed-209 shoots him, no blood.

RB 71

kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote

I have been working on this for the past year, and have finally completed it. I’m going to be releasing it soon. I posted a lot of updates over on Fanedit, and am in the process of submitting it.

I’ve compiled several sources to put this edit together including:

-RoboCop 4K restored Blu Ray from 2014 (main source)
-The original ABC network broadcast of RoboCop - recorded c. 1991 (not the premiere) - VHS
-WGN America airing of RoboCop from 2010 - VHS
-Comet TV 2017 airing of RoboCop -DVR to DVD
-THIStv 2018 airing of RoboCop - DVR/hdmi rip
-Unreleased Blu Ray of RoboCop Theatrical cut
-RoboCop Full Screen Laserdisc
-RoboCop alternate footage compilation from YouTube (for 2 shots I couldn’t find in any TV version I had)

There are 2 main TV versions of RoboCop:

-ITV version: This is the most well known version that most modern TV edits are based off of. Cut for violence/swearing/sex/drugs. Contains the most alternate footage.

-ABC Edit: Cut for violence/swearing/sex/drugs. Has some alternate footage, but is cut down signifcantly to fit in a 2hr time slot with commercials. But infamously has the alternate take of Clarence Driving around Emil instead of running him down.

The THIStv recording I have had most of the ITV footage, but there was a problem. The 2001 release of RoboCop (that most TV versions use now) had a blue/purplish tone throughout, so the alternate footage was (very poorly) color corrected to match. Some I could easily correct with a filter, others I had to go through frame by frame and re color the background and faces/clothes.

Other alternate footage was taken from a VHS recording of the ABC version, sharpened and up scaled.

Because the alternate footage of toxic Emil is so infamous and unique, I used it. However, most of the edit is based off of the ITV edit, with some edits throughout that are from either version. I wanted to include as much alternate footage as possible.

In terms of Audio, there are 3 tracks to accommodate the different versions:

ITV, main edit. It has the best audio quality.
ABC Edit. Contains the dubs/takes not in the ITV version. Taken from an old VHS, so quality isn’t great on some of the dubs
Current US broadcast. Almost exactly the same as ITV, but there’s no music under Murphy’s death and every instance of “freaking or friggin” is taken out.
The edit is about 3 minutes shorter than the original movie. I also redid the TV bumper before it at the beginning of the edit.

Will be publicly releasing it soon. Also will be posting (updated) clips and screenshots at some point soon.

RB 71

POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote

I’m pretty excited for this! I recorded the original 1989 ABC airing and lost the VHS years ago. Man I’d kill to see all those commercials again! Will you be putting on YouTube?

RB 1391

kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote

POCOBOR :
I’m pretty excited for this! I recorded the original 1989 ABC airing and lost the VHS years ago. Man I’d kill to see all those commercials again! Will you be putting on YouTube?

Unfortunately I can’t put it on YouTube for copyright reasons. I will however give anyone the download link that wants it once I release it.

RB 71

POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote

kchrules :
POCOBOR :

Unfortunately I can’t put it on YouTube for copyright reasons. I will however give anyone the download link that wants it once I release it.

Nice! I’ll be requiring the link 😉

RB 1391

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote

I have the ITV edit on VHS somewhere in my house. Now, with having the house renovated, and having a fair amount of my stuff damaged during the renovation, it may not work, or it may have been thrown out already due to damage, but I will certainly have a look for it for you and I have a VHS to PC converter so will upload it to somewhere like MEGA for you to download should you need it.

RB 18145

kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote

PFMC84 :
I have the ITV edit on VHS somewhere in my house. Now, with having the house renovated, and having a fair amount of my stuff damaged during the renovation, it may not work, or it may have been thrown out already due to damage, but I will certainly have a look for it for you and I have a VHS to PC converter so will upload it to somewhere like MEGA for you to download should you need it.

I think I have all the footage I need, but if you find it and would like to share, I'd appreciate it very much!

Here is a trailer I put together for the TV Edit Restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zDO6JvW_Z4&feature=youtu.be

RB 71

kchrules
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote

This is finally finished: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/robocop-tv-edit-hd-restoration/

Send me a PM if you would like the download link (13.76gb)

RB 71

wolvie75
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote

kchrules :
This is finally finished: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/robocop-tv-edit-hd-restoration/

Send me a PM if you would like the download link (13.76gb)

You got a pm

RB 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Fan creations All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard