New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop as the Colonel in KFC campaign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote

RoboCop Returns, but perhaps not in the way you wanted. KFC is currently running a campaign with Robo as the Colonel with PETER WELLER doing the voice.
This is either very cool or very sad depending on your preference. (We are currently undecided.)

You can check out a bunch of the RoboCop short videos on the KFC youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/KFCColonelSanders/videos

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
This is either very cool or very sad depending on your preference. (We are currently undecided.)

EH, bit of both for myself.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Personally, I don't even find them funny. I'd take this one over them anyday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU

It's so much more WTF Smile

Still, I guess it's kinda nice to see something being done with classic Robo.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Well, it was nice to hear Weller as Robo again and I think this definitely proves that Weller would most definitely lend his voice and likeness to the character for the new movie if even a huge salary can't tempt him back to play the role physically.

Will add as well that it puts Robo back in the the mainstream conscious again. If this came out after RoboCop 3, after the TV series or even after Prime Directives it would feel like the final nail in the character's coffin - but all these years later - I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It's a bit like the Terminator in a McDonald's commercial? Would it damage the character, no? Times have changed. With the advent of social media and YouTube - EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is made fun of.

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:11 am Reply with quote

NukeLord :
Would it damage the character, no? Times have changed. With the advent of social media and YouTube - EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is made fun of.

I'm not so sure.. Yeah it puts Robo back in the spotlight which is good but I'm not sure this is really the best spotlight to put him in though.. At best it doesn't do any favors.. at worst - it's making a bad joke out of Robo and even more crummy bastardization of the franchise which I can't see as being too good a thing if at all. And the more I think about it the more it seems the latter.

I suppose in the end it could be worse still but.. bah. If nothing else this whole advertising combo seems rather.. odd. KFC?

But hey I do agree it is nice to see - or rather, hear - Weller, even if it does show clearly he's all about gettin' paid. Otherwise, eh, still of both minds on the sad vs funny take.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote

It´d be fun that all the "RoboCop Returns" was just some KFC commercials directed by Blomkamp and voiced by Weller. Laughing

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote

NukeLord :
If this came out after RoboCop 3, after the TV series or even after Prime Directives it would feel like the final nail in the character's coffin.

It kind of still does. When I saw Archive say it was either "very cool or very sad" I thought how could it be anything other than cool? But watching the commercials I can't help but feel this was the very thing Weller was trying to avoid back then, the art of the film called Robocop giving was to a character that is used to shill corporate interests. The haunting irony is not lost on me that this is the very sort of thing the original film was aping. These commercials feel like they should have come after Robocop 2 to finish the characters arc from art to product, only a couple decades late.

Hearing Weller as Robocop again was great... for a second, until he told me to buy chicken. We've long known he sees the role as a joke, but it hurts a bit to see it play out on screen. This is not the way any of us wanted Weller back. And you might say, what's the big deal? There are not many hardcore Robocop fans, not like some other huge franchises, so there will be no public outcry. But my heart does cry a bit inside, and I was not prepared for that today.

If this is just the start of Weller embracing a return to Robocop, I would happily eat my words. Maybe this is just him 'stretching his legs' before voicing the character in the upcoming film, which would be awesome. But I don't think so. To me it feels like Weller giving one final "fuck you" to the character, cashing in one final check for the role that defined his life, for better and worse.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if his comment "yeah this is a problem" has any further implication than just his feeling at the moment.

Where they planning to announce something regarding "RoboCop Returns" and the KFC Colonel took the spotlight?

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
alyd
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote

I notice on the dinner party one, the pic on the wall on the left is modded from a Play Arts product pic and the one on the right, Hot Toys;

RB 151

WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote

First off, It was cool hearing him voice the character again. But that’s where my positivity stops. I’m not mad or offended, but this is nowhere close to what I was expecting. He’s been “done” with Robo now for a long time, but sort of similar to Harrison Ford with Indy and Han, I was pretty sure we would see Peter revisit the character again at some point. But not like this. It wasn’t even funny. Ugh..

RB 1163

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet UC-M21
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote

When I saw this the other night, I thought it was so funny and cool...but then the more I thought about it, the sadder it seemed to me that RoboCop had become a parody of himself. And Peter Weller, of all people, perpetuated it!! I mean, I'm sure they threw plenty of money at him, and who could blame him, really, but...I don't know. A KFC commercial sure does seem like the last stop for pop-culture significance, and that's kinda sad...

Oh, and one more thing...I felt like the whole thing had a distinct RoboCop 2 feel to it, which was authentic yet sad at the same time, like it was both cool and very lame simultaneously. (lol) I'm not sure how I feel about it, really... Laughing

RB 1633

ultra4
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote

i have no problem with this. its all in good fun and even peter weller did the voice. it may lead to him doing the new film. testing the waters? IDK.

there has definitely been huge jumps in sfx since robocop one. i doubt he'd have to do much or any of the same stuff to get into the suit this time around.

alot of the suit could be CGI to save him from the sweatbox we know the suit was

RB 743

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
I wonder if his comment "yeah this is a problem" has any further implication than just his feeling at the moment.

Did he ever elaborate on this more?

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Did he ever elaborate on this more?

No, that was it. So it's up to speculation what HIS specific problem was.

Honestly, I half expect Blomkamp to jump ship any day now and work with Cameron instead on an Alien movie.
Hopefully that does not happen.

RB 348130

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard