New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Peter Weller talk RoboCop Returns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Peter Weller wants to set the record straight after hearing conflicting rumors about whether or not he is willing to don the armor once more to play RoboCop.

In a new interview with Calgary Herald Peter Weller confirms he has been in talks with director Neill Blomkamp about RoboCop Returns.

"Neill Blomkamp and I are talking consistently about it.’ So I’ll put the kibosh on that. If that turns out, I’ll do that with him because he is great.”

“We just like to keep the windows open here because he’s about to get financed, when he does, hopefully we’ll make a deal and we’ll do it.”

“If the money is right, I’ll do anything with RoboCop, If there is no money in it, I won’t. It’s as simple as that.”

SOURCE:
https://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/local-arts/calgary-comic-expo-from-robocop-to-italian-art-actor-peter-weller-has-been-a-true-renaissance-man

RB 1199

game-xbox
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate the frankness. It always comes down to both the quality of the material and the pay (as it should). Weller clearly has full confidence in Neill's story, it's just a matter of if the studio can make it worth his while to step back into the fold. This was a very demanding role when he was in his 40s, and now he's in his 70s.

He (and others) have made peace with the fact that he is the primary actor that will be associated with the character. Refusing this role won't change that. But if things do work out, it will be a more proper sendoff than the mixed sequels to the original series, and may win back some critical acclaim.

RB 730

hamburger
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote

Peter Weller :
“If the money is right, I’ll do anything with RoboCop, If there is no money in it, I won’t. It’s as simple as that.”

This is a fair response, if not exactly the most inspiring. Of course, he deserves a fair salary for returning to the iconic role. But of course I can't help but wish he had said something like "I really want to be a part of this no matter what" but we know his love for Robocop is far exceeded by his love of money. Those KFC commercials show that. I really hope it all works out, but I just have this kinda gut feeling that it's gonna be a case where like he wanted 2 million more than they were willing to give. I doubt they are gonna throw money at this like some Star Wars or Marvel movie, and I fear he expects those kinda big bucks. But of course the fact that he is even open to returning at all is great news. A few years ago it seemed utterly impossible, so this offers a shred of hope. But for me it is just a shred, after how we got burned on the last Robocop movie I won't believe anything about this one until there is at least a trailer.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Peter Weller :

This is a fair response, if not exactly the most inspiring. Of course, he deserves a fair salary for returning to the iconic role. But of course I can't help but wish he had said something like "I really want to be a part of this no matter what" but we know his love for Robocop is far exceeded by his love of money. Those KFC commercials show that. I really hope it all works out, but I just have this kinda gut feeling that it's gonna be a case where like he wanted 2 million more than they were willing to give. I doubt they are gonna throw money at this like some Star Wars or Marvel movie, and I fear he expects those kinda big bucks. But of course the fact that he is even open to returning at all is great news. A few years ago it seemed utterly impossible, so this offers a shred of hope. But for me it is just a shred, after how we got burned on the last Robocop movie I won't believe anything about this one until there is at least a trailer.

Well said man.

I admire his honesty. Really hoping to hear of a greenlight soon.

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Peter Weller was recently at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, and again talked about RoboCop Returns.

“That’s not true, that’s not true, no. I’ve not turned that down. I’ve not been made the offer yet."

“That’s absolutely dead wrong, I love him, he’s great. It’s wrong.”

“The thing with RoboCop is, I don’t do interviews for free on RoboCop. I don’t talk about the movie unless somebody’s willing to pay me. And I don’t do anything about it unless I’m making money on it, so it’s misunderstood that I won’t talk about RoboCop."

"I’m not going to be part of anybody’s documentary or anybody’s on-camera video or anything like that unless it’s serious (money). That’s it."

“But Neill Blomkamp’s film is great. He’s got a great idea, we’ve talked about it, but it’s not sealed yet, it’s not done … so I can’t say that I’m doing it until the ink’s dry on the paper."

“The conversations are ongoing right now.”

SOURCE:
http://theyyscene.com/2019/04/26/calgary-expo-guest-peter-weller-denies-reports-hes-turned-down-a-role-in-neill-blomkamps-robocop-sequel/

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Peter Weller :
"I’m not going to be part of anybody’s documentary or anybody’s on-camera video or anything like that unless it’s serious (money). That’s it."

So sad for the RoboDoc guys. I understand he wants some quick bucks to do something with the character (like playing or voicing him) but for spending a few hours talking seems "greedy".

Anyway, I prefer him to be clear about RoboCop Returns and saying everything has to do with a good script (can´t blame him, if it´s shit why bother) and money than shut up and being cryptic. And I hope we´ll have news about the film; I was afraid they already scrapped the idea.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Money money money! I only shake hands if they offer some money!

Did something go wrong with his fame and nowadays he's massively strapped for cash or what? Or did life itself turn sour for him and now he only values everything's worth in dollar signs?

Don't get me wrong, he can do whatever, but I thought we left the "Peter is a jerk!"-phase behind us, a bunch of years ago.

Oh well, maybe I can still get his autograph for, say, about tree fiddy.

RB 1560

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Maxlee :
Don't get me wrong, he can do whatever, but I thought we left the "Peter is a jerk!"-phase behind us, a bunch of years ago.

I don't know where you got that idea. Sure, he has lightened up a bit and said some positive things about Robocop in light of some of the cast passing, but his overall stance has remained quite negative. Like with those KFC commercials, that wasn't a sign that he is coming around on the franchise, it was a quick paycheck. Even if Weller does star in this new movie I still don't think he would love the character in the long run, I think he will keep the bitterness within him for the rest of his life.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote

I understand where he is coming from. If you don't remember a few years back there was an article or it was some video of Peter Weller basically saying people should get paid for what they are worth, he is a strong advocate of people being paid a living wage and that no one should work for free. Maybe I'm imagining this but I swear I remember reading something like that. I think he'll voice it at least if it ever comes into fruition, if KFC was able to pull enough strings to get him to talk then I'm sure for a movie they'll be able to do that too.

RB 1031

NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote

edgeofthecosmos :
I understand where he is coming from. If you don't remember a few years back there was an article or it was some video of Peter Weller basically saying people should get paid for what they are worth, he is a strong advocate of people being paid a living wage and that no one should work for free. Maybe I'm imagining this but I swear I remember reading something like that. I think he'll voice it at least if it ever comes into fruition, if KFC was able to pull enough strings to get him to talk then I'm sure for a movie they'll be able to do that too.

I agree, sure I read that too.

When you look at it - he's never really voiced out and out hate or dislike for the character. We now have information from Fred Dekker and other sources that show that he only didn't do "3" because of his commitments to Naked Lunch. The likelyhood is, if they'd have "shown him the money" and he didn't have previous commitments...he would've done it.

Even the TV series producers reached out to him, which he refused. Again, likelyhood is - he would've done it if the money was right.

RB 3079

Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote

I think the idea of doing things for money is totally justifiable. Often people are demanding artists do do stuff related to their job for free and it isn't really fair. It's a common occurrence with youtube "celebrities" who get shit whenever they have sponsored content or in other ways try to make money out of the videos they make. Fans demand they do them for free for some reason.

In Weller's case i feel it is more the way he deals with it that rubs people and fans the wrong way. If basically everyone Robo related can take one hour+ out of their time for RoboDoc then why can't Weller. The film crew would come to HIM so it's basically just Weller being stubborn and making a point.

In this 2016 interview for example, his "keep buying that crap" attitude is a bit offensive. Smile

https://youtu.be/ThNuMnLbAvI?t=186

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote

Archive :
I think the idea of doing things for money is totally justifiable. Often people are demanding artists do do stuff related to their job for free and it isn't really fair. It's a common occurrence with youtube "celebrities" who get shit whenever they have sponsored content or in other ways try to make money out of the videos they make. Fans demand they do them for free for some reason.

In Weller's case i feel it is more the way he deals with it that rubs people and fans the wrong way. If basically everyone Robo related can take one hour+ out of their time for RoboDoc then why can't Weller. The film crew would come to HIM so it's basically just Weller being stubborn and making a point.

In this 2016 interview for example, his "keep buying that crap" attitude is a bit offensive. Smile

Wow. Interesting video! I never realised Weller actually had a financial stake in the franchise.

RB 3079

Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Archive :

I think it's a matter of him overestimating how much money is to be made from such a thing. He doesn't see it as a fan labor or love.

On a related note, is this his real Instagram?
https://www.instagram.com/real_peter_weller/

RB 730

hamburger
Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 am Reply with quote

Slash Man :
On a related note, is this his real Instagram?
https://www.instagram.com/real_peter_weller/

Oh no, definitely not.

Instagram is full of fake celebrity accounts. I think Weller has at least 10.

RB 348130

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard