New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Peter Weller talk RoboCop Returns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ireactions
O-L1*

O-L1*

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
RoboWags :
I think Frank Miller had an idea which Irvin Kershner and Walon Greene perverted. I don't think his full vision for RoboCop would have translated well to the screen, however. That being said, R2 is a good movie and had it been directed by Verhoeven it would've been a masterpiece of a sequel.

I for one am looking forward to a new movie. I think having Weller back will sway the purists but I do agree with Archive that the movie will likely suffer the same "dark fate" as Terminator Wink . Movies these days are all about the special effects and the pacing. R1 wouldn't hold up by today's box office standards and the younger audience is so used to the CGI effects and over-simplified plots that they wouldn't appreciate the dark humor and satire. I hope Blomkamp is sincere in his pledge to bring back the old Robo. If Weller's participation helps achieve that goal, I'm all for it.

Word to all of this for me.

I'm a bit confused about why DARK FATE is getting a bad response when... I mean, it's just the trailer, right?

I find ROBOCOP to be a savage but ultimately hopeful and uplifting experience whereas ROBOCOP 2 is so unpleasant that I have no desire to ever go near it again, but I'm glad RoboWags finds its a good movie because I'd never want anybody to have a bad time.

One thing that confuses me a bit... as lovely as Mr. Blomkamp is, if the intent is to do a Paul Verhoeven pastiche and follow his style -- much in the same way JJ Abrams mimicked Steven Spielberg in SUPER 8 and 1977 George Lucas in THE FORCE AWAKENS -- then how about just hiring Paul Verhoeven?

RoboPimp :

RB 1677

hamburger
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote

ireactions :
I'm a bit confused about why DARK FATE is getting a bad response when... I mean, it's just the trailer, right?

The bad response is mostly towards a bad trailer. The actual movie might be good but first impressions are definitely not good. It is eerily similar to the other recent Terminator movies and even has a mind numbing fast and furious type plane scene.

ireactions :
One thing that confuses me a bit... as lovely as Mr. Blomkamp is, if the intent is to do a Paul Verhoeven pastiche and follow his style -- much in the same way JJ Abrams mimicked Steven Spielberg in SUPER 8 and 1977 George Lucas in THE FORCE AWAKENS -- then how about just hiring Paul Verhoeven?

I think in our minds we would all like Verhoeven to return and make another masterpiece, but then you think of other legendary directors that also returned to their original movie such as Lucas, Spielberg and Ridley Scott and then you realize it might not be a good idea after all. As years gone by they forgot themselves what made the magic happen and i'm not saying that would happen with Verhoeven, but the movie was made during a specific time in his life and it might not be possible to go back there.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote

Archive :
I think in our minds we would all like Verhoeven to return and make another masterpiece, but then you think of other legendary directors that also returned to their original movie such as Lucas, Spielberg and Ridley Scott and then you realize it might not be a good idea after all. As years gone by they forgot themselves what made the magic happen and i'm not saying that would happen with Verhoeven, but the movie was made during a specific time in his life and it might not be possible to go back there.

I think Verhoeven wonīt return because the "Showgirls" case (funny that it became a cult movie after these years), so Hollywood isnīt interested in "old" directors. I think he could do an interesting film if the script is right. His latest movies are quite good (I enjoyed too much his "Black Book", and "Elle" wasnīt bad).

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Usually the older directors are opposed to doing a retread on their older work and try to experiment with new ideas. Hence why George Lucas took the prequels in such a different direction while J.J. Abrams produced a relatively tame remake.

Verhoeven has no allegiance to the RoboCop franchise as a whole (as opposed to Lucas with Star Wars). He simply saw the strength of the script and worked with that. While he's a writer himself, you need something he can salvage to begin with. Irvin Kershner couldn't take many liberties with RoboCop 2 because the script was always changing. As he recounts his experiences, I think we didn't get to see his full potential as a director due to the troubled production.

RB 730

hamburger
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Slash Man :
Irvin Kershner couldn't take many liberties with RoboCop 2 because the script was always changing.

And who do you think was the one demanding the script be changed? It seems Kershner took about as many liberties as possible with Robocop, cutting down Lewis' parts as much as possible because he hated Nancy Allen, and one story I recall reading here had him throwing out pages of the script every morning, constantly demanding changes. It will be interesting to see how the Robodoc tackles this subject, as many people see Kershner as more of the villain in the making of Robocop 2 than the hero. At the very least, he is the main reason the script is so dramatically different than Miller's original vision.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
OCP-001
O-L5

O-L5

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Slash Man :
Irvin Kershner couldn't take many liberties with RoboCop 2 because the script was always changing.

And who do you think was the one demanding the script be changed? It seems Kershner took about as many liberties as possible with Robocop, cutting down Lewis' parts as much as possible because he hated Nancy Allen, and one story I recall reading here had him throwing out pages of the script every morning, constantly demanding changes. It will be interesting to see how the Robodoc tackles this subject, as many people see Kershner as more of the villain in the making of Robocop 2 than the hero. At the very least, he is the main reason the script is so dramatically different than Miller's original vision.

Shocked very interesting, I never knew any of that. I did some googling about it and apparently Nancy had this to say about Kershner: "Working with Kershner was the worst experience of my life. He took what was a good script and massacred it. He treated me disgracefully, and I think he ruined the movie and was borderline abusive to me"

source: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-robocops-nancy-allen-originals-epic-cast-chemistry-new-reboot-and-verhoeven-vs

RB 341

ultra2
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:07 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
I forget who was quoted as saying Miller's script was "unfilmable", but I believed that for a number of years until I read the comic. In reality, it just came down to personal taste and preference. So I am a little conflicted in that I believe Kershner made a slightly better movie than he was handed, but at the cost of the behind the scenes madness.

Although snubbing Nancy Allen and intentionally not bringing back Basil Poledouris suggests that Kershner didn't understand the elements that people liked about the original.

RB 730

hamburger
Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Slash Man :
I forget who was quoted as saying Miller's script was "unfilmable", but I believed that for a number of years until I read the comic. In reality, it just came down to personal taste and preference. So I am a little conflicted in that I believe Kershner made a slightly better movie than he was handed, but at the cost of the behind the scenes madness.

Although snubbing Nancy Allen and intentionally not bringing back Basil Poledouris suggests that Kershner didn't understand the elements that people liked about the original.

Think it was Orion who deemed that - "2" had nearly triple the final budget of "1". If they'd wanted to, they could've done the infamous helicopter sequence, for example. It's not as if they put much into the pyrotechnics, bar a few car blasts.

Nancy, up until now, is the only one whose expressed disdain towards "RoboCop 2". If Kershner really treated her unfairly, that memory was going to seep into her opinion of the finished product. She'll have criticized everything he did on it and compared him to Verhoeven, Spielberg and co.

By that time, she'd worked with 5 of the best directors in Hollywood. Those two, Robert Zemeckis, Abel Ferrara and Brian de Palma. I think because of that, she's become somewhat aloof towards the picture, but if she'd done a better job, they wouldn't have been any conflict between her and Kersh. She could have proved him wrong that the part didn't need re-casting.

She wasn't entirely convincing in the role, either. I've said this before she was quite reserved on-camera. Too often, she was awkward and wooden in her delivery/movement. There was so much more she could've done with it and ultimately, she wasn't the original choice. Stephanie Zimbalist was and it's evident why. Her exceptional work and range on "Remington Steele" being proof of that.

Kershner would have known this. He was an educated man by the industry's standards. As viewers, we develop a meter for quality of acting. Allen was great in other parts, but not particularly Lewis. She didn't settle into the character until "RoboCop 3" (a truth she admitted at the time). She preferred feminine, glamorous parts to play and Anne was not one of them.

Of course, this is purely my opinion. Don't mean to imply I speak for any of you.

As for Basil, do we know for certain he wasn't asked back? If anyone's to blame for that, it's Jon Davison. The studio could've also insisted he be hired again.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
Nancy, up until now, is the only one whose expressed disdain towards "RoboCop 2".

Jon Davison, Frank Miller, and Peter Weller all made remarks that while not showing true 'disdain' at least certainly weren't exactly positive about the production. Reading between the lines it's pretty clear almost everyone had, if not a rough time then hardly a pleasant time doing the film. There was conflict and heavy tension by very nature of the production itself. Of course not all of that can be laid at Kersh's feet - after all he was brought in at literally the last minute by an already moving mule being mostly sticked by the studio. Still tho, Kersh seemingly didn't do much if anything to alleviate any of that.

That said, I do think Allen is something of a diva so I think it's a 'bit of both' deal in regards to her treatment on R2. Yes, Kersh and the studio cut a lot of scenes that involved her (which I feel made the final film suffer) and indeed probably didn't treat her too well, but again that by most accounts seems to have been more unilateral from Kersh's end there and there's accounts of Nancy being problematic in R3 - an entirely different environment - so measure all that how you will.

Quote:
As for Basil, do we know for certain he wasn't asked back? If anyone's to blame for that, it's Jon Davison. The studio could've also insisted he be hired again.

I don't think he was either flatly rejected nor explicitly asked, mainly because by the time R2 got going I believe Basil was scoring another movie. If so, well a scheduling conflict would make all of it moot.

That said, I'd rather not yabber about R2 anymore since that ain't what the topic's about.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote

To bring this topic back around, the lessons learned from RoboCop 2 are pretty clear. Though since RoboCop Returns isn't in any hurry to capitalize on the first film, the whole rushed production doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue. The only potential source of trouble is the script being re-written from the original RoboCop creators. While it did take a great director like Verhoeven to bring the original to its full potential, these guys still know what they're doing.

It won't be hard to find a talented, willing director this time around. RoboCop is now a well-established pop culture icon. Though like I was saying earlier, the challenge is to find someone that will actually add something new and worthy to the series instead of a safe retreat and a guaranteed moneygrab.

RB 730

hamburger
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote

I read on IMDB.com that the story for this Robocop Returns film was a sequel idea put together by Ed Neuemier and Michael Miner around the time of the first movie's release. The idea that creative material like that has been sitting around for over 30 years is intriguing. Since then there have been many people contribute to the Robocop story, taking it in different directions. It might be refreshing to see what the movie makers were planning back then before it was a recognizeable franchise.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
I read on IMDB.com that the story for this Robocop Returns film was a sequel idea put together by Ed Neuemier and Michael Miner around the time of the first movie's release.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Blomkamp is making his own script with the help of Tim Miller (Terminator: Dark Fate)

They went from it taking place 25-30 years later to taking place directly after the first movie.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote

Some troll had fun on Imdb

"Storyline

Robocop must defeat Clarence Bodiker who gets resurrected into a machine with one mission..to destroy all of Detroit. With the help of Emil and Louis Robocop must go to extreme lengths to ensure the survival of his loved ones and defeat his greatest foe yet."

RB 1199

game-xbox
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Woah. Shocked
I must say for a joke plot it is pretty lame. Clearly done by a Terminator fan. Smile

I marked it for deletion to IMDB.

Plot Summary :
Robocop must defeat Clarence Bodiker who gets resurrected into a machine with one mission..to destroy all of Detroit. With the help of Emil and Louis Robocop must go to extreme lengths to ensure the survival of his loved ones and defeat his greatest foe yet.

RB 348711

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard