New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop Returns gets new director in Abe Forsythe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote

RoboCop Returns gets a new director in rising filmmaker Abe Forsythe, the helmer of the Lupita Nyong’o zombie comedy Little Monsters. The project is currently being developed as a direct follow-up to the original 1987 movie.

Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner wrote the script for the sequel years ago with Justin Rhodes(Terminator Dark Fate), while Neill Blomkamp was still attached as the director. Forsyth will now do another rewrite of the script.

SOURCE: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robocop-returns-lands-little-monsters-director-abe-forsythe-1256699

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
RoboCop Returns gets a new director in rising filmmaker Abe Forsythe, the helmer of the Lupita Nyong’o zombie comedy Little Monsters. The project is currently being developed as a direct follow-up to the original 1987 movie.

We're screwed. Sad

RB 1199

game-xbox
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote

They need to cancel this and fuck off. Dumped it on a no name director with basically no experience and called it a day. What a shit show.

RB 495

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Mephisto :
They need to cancel this and fuck off. Dumped it on a no name director with basically no experience and called it a day. What a shit show.

What´s the problem with that? Verhoeven was a "unknown dude" for American audiences back then (except for film buffs). And what a wonderful flick he did. I don´t care if Spielberg would direct this (I think I wouldn´t be excited if he was the director, to be honest), or a big name. I just want a good, fun movie. I hope Neumeier & Miner had enough power to put their ideas on the final script. That, and I hope it will be made.

The only problem I could see being a "no name" is that he could accept every studio interference on the film, like what it happened on RebootCop with Padilha.

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Mephisto :

What´s the problem with that? Verhoeven was a "unknown dude" for American audiences back then (except for film buffs).

Being an unknown, and being an "unknown for American audiences" are two different things. In defense of Forsythe, though, it does appear that he has been directing in some fashion for about 20 years, which is roughly the same as Verhoeven when he directed Robocop. The difference I think is that Verhoeven had a lot more feature films under his belt, while Forsythe has only two, and Forsythe's IMDB is listing directing credits from when the dude was 17 (which seems a bit suspect).

I don't think this would smell as bad if Bloomkamp hadn't suddenly jumped ship. My impression from the beginning was that Bloomkamp left because MGM was being MGM and trying to micromanage the project...again. Then in the wake MGM hires someone with literally no clout to speak of, and it just has the stench of hiring a guy they know won't push back, and who could really use the exposure of a franchise IP.

ChAnOoD :
The only problem I could see being a "no name" is that he could accept every studio interference on the film, like what it happened on RebootCop with Padilha.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
RoboFan
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote

MGM making sure a name director doesn't accidentally make a good RoboCop movie when they aren't looking. We can't have that now.

In all seriousness, the chances of this being good are low to nil.

RB 34

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan :
In all seriousness, the chances of this being good are low to nil.

You are being optimistic. I think we´ll have lil chances to watch that film tongue They´re always saying "that guy will do", but not a firm step into development.

I read some articles and some replies to the news said it´d would work as a series on a streaming platform. I still think that´d be the good way if they´re trying to develop the original Robo on current times.

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Nice, can't wait until they announce the next director and then maybe they can actually start making the movie!

Joking aside, I do have to take any new RoboCop news with a grain of salt after the Blompkamp fiasco. But I don't think having an unknown director is the worst thing in the world. Someone mentioned they might be too willing to do whatever the studio insists, but to me that is a good thing. Padilha clashed with the studio and the results show in a messy and uneven film. Someone who is willing to work with the studio rather than fight them is not the worst thing in the world, after all the studios are the ones paying for the whole movie to happen. Why do you think JJ Abrahams did both the Star Trek AND Star Wars reboot? I'd rather have someone willing to work with the studio than against it, and at this point that's what we need if we have any hope of an actual RoboCop sequel actually happening.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote

He was born in 1981 so I will give him the benefit of the doubt Smile

RB 1031

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Chanood makes a good point, who's to say that a well-known director would do a better job than someone who is just starting out. One thing is for sure, a new director is less likely to let ego get in the way of making a movie. He may also be more willing to make the movie that the fans want instead of trying to top everyone else. Inexperience will definitely be an issue, but perhaps that means that he will listen to the writers, something that never seems to happen! There is also the pitfall of making a film that borrows too much and lacks originality, but after the 2014 Padhilla Robocop film, which I enjoyed for its modern take of the story, perhaps a movie that harkens back to the original would be exciting too.
One thing that can't be helped is that now, unlike in 1987, the movie has to fulfill the expectations of the producers and be consistent with a franchise. There will be less freedom to take new directions or make changes. It may end up being a safe sequel if it happens at all.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Robomania
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote

No news since the announcement, are people feeling like there might end up not even being movie now?

RB 166

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote

The confusing thing for me is that Blomkamp left because MGM according to him "can’t wait/ need to shoot Robocop now."

Blomkamp left in August 2019, and the new director was announced in late November. We haven't heard much since then from a studio that allegedly "can't wait".

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Every rose has its thorn...

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote

They're in the midst of a takeover. Apple and Netflix are looking to buy them. There’s the current situation with the Coronavirus as well and having already cancelled the release in some of its most lucrative Far East territories, the new James Bond film is the priority.

They apparently need it to hit the $1 billion mark at the box-office, otherwise they’re in financial trouble. The Hollywood Reporter heard from a “knowledgeable” source that the studio is “heavily leveraged”. That basically means it’s being ‘propped up’ by the banks and other high-dollar lenders.

In any case, I don’t hold out much hope for this anymore. James Mangold, who directed “Cop Land”, “Logan” and “The Wolverine”, just signed on last month to replace Steven Spielberg on the next Indiana Jones movie. He would’ve been perfect for a RoboCop picture and doesn’t seem the pretentious type either.

He’s done pure commercial/mainstream popcorn-flicks amongst character-driven dramas and they’ve earned him Academy Award nominations, while his actors have taken home theirs. I saw “Cop Land” last week and it was incredible, the way he shot and edited that. Had somewhat of a Paul Verhoeven feel to it with its independent look & style. Gritty, without going documentary/handheld with the camera.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard