New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

MGM working on RoboCop series focusing on young Dick Jones?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote

The Prequel TV show would be about business and law enforcement in the city of Detroit a minute-and-a-half in the future. Although so far not anywhere near actually being made it is an interesting, although odd, idea for a RoboCop Tv show without the actual RoboCop.

Hard to believe, and it seems there isnīt any confirmation in other sites:

SOURCE:
https://moviehole.net/exclusive-mgm-working-on-robocop-series-focusing-on-young-dick-jones/

* Post Edited for News Forum

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Didn't see that coming.

I'm not sure about the appeal really. It will have nothing to do with RoboCop as such so it's just a TV drama set in the corporate world of OCP?

That sounds... pretty boring..?

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Didn't see that coming.

I'm not sure about the appeal really. It will have nothing to do with RoboCop as such so it's just a TV drama set in the corporate world of OCP?

That sounds... pretty boring..?

Unless they go for the creation of cyborgs, ED-209, etc. But it sounds like that April Foolīs prank from this site where they announce a prequel series about Lewis. New Robo-Stuff is cool, but new Robo-Stuff without Robo on it is weird as shit.

I always said it: I think the best way is a Cop show about RoboCop. You can expend the money on the RoboSuit like in the first film, and do a gritty version of The Series (avoid cliche supervillains and gangsters, but keep RoboCop solving crimes one at a time, 40 minute version).

Anyway, as I posted on another topic, I think Ed itīs being Dan Aykroyd. Promoting ideas without any firm yes from anyone.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote

From the comments on facebook and instagram i kind of see SOME potential to the series, as I'm sure they would sprinkle the episodes with various "wink wink" name drops and references.

By the end of season 1 they might start talking about enforcement droids and I'm sure Bob Morton pops up at some point. Technically the time from the RoboCop program being started to being finished there is potential for some drama between Dick and Bob.

Ultimately though. I very much doubt this thing is being made anytime soon.

Quote:
I think Ed itīs being Dan Aykroyd. Promoting ideas without any firm yes from anyone.

I'm starting to think you are right.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote

I always thought there was scope to do a "Delta City" prequel as a series. The tone of the original, the police dealing with the crims and losing. You could even have Clarence's first 31 kills.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Better be fake.

RB 1199

game-xbox
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote

I don't see any reason why this needs to be made or why anyone would want to watch it. If it is supposed to be in the world of RoboCop but won't actually feature RoboCop, what is the appeal for either RoboCop fans or casual viewers?

People won't know enough or care enough about supporting characters like Dick Jones to want to watch a show dedicated to them. It won't feature any plot types that aren't on countless other police/court/drama shows already on TV or from the past. It would be a complete waste of money and I hope they seriously don't actually make it. Save the money and the small decent bit of good reputation the character of RoboCop has left and focus on the new theatrical movie, if it ever gets green lit.

RB 18145

JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I mean... you remember when someone asked on here about a Robocop prequel series with Alex Murphy before he gets moved to Metro West. And it was like cool but why?

This isn't even cool.

The sad thing is this will totally be a thing purely because trust in corps are at an all time low. So no better time to stick it to the man. But not us though hah hah ... we are good guys.

Edit: Thinking about it, Game of Thrones but cyberpunk complete with Enforcement Droids reveals with live ammo could be fun.

RB 710

cake
Robomania
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote

huh what Hopefully not legit, 'Hey Robo fans, do you want more Robocop? well, you can't have that but we'll give you a show all about Dick Jones' Laughing

RB 166

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote

More places are picking this up. RoboCop is one of the top trending topics on Twitter at the moment. Most people have the same opinion - a RoboCop themed show without RoboCop = terrible idea.

RB 18145

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote

I don't think I could ever really say "no" to a RoboCop spinoff of any kind, even one without Robo. But like everyone said, I don't see much potential for this and it really just sounds boring. My first thoughts were the corporate OCP scenes in PD. Obviously that show had a lot of problems but those scenes are generally considered the worst and shows that OCP stuff without any connection to RoboCop is really boring.

Another big problem with this concept is we all know how it ends. There is no room for RoboCop, maybe some early ED-209 prototypes, but even in the movie that one was a prototype so not much to do there. We all know exactly where Dick Jones is at the start of RoboCop and we know his ultimate fate, so from the first episode of this series we know how it is going to end. Same goes for Murphy, Clarence, Lewis, or any other character. Those three have more potential than Dick Jones imo, but there just isn't much meat on the bone.

The show Gotham had a similar premise, the world of Batman before Batman. But that show also had access to Batman's full rogue gallery, and as much as I love RoboCop, Batman has a far more exciting, expansive, and iconic roster of villains to work with. And I still thought Gotham sucked.

Hopefully this is just some sly marketing thing or a way to gauge interest in the actual RoboCop reboot. If the studios see this idea go viral but everybody is saying that idea sucks and they want the reboot, then they know there is interest for the reboot. That may seem a bit farfetched but honestly more belivable than a random Dick Jones TV show. At least when Gotham was on the air it was around the time Batman movies were in theaters, new animated Batman stuff was coming out, and of course the Batman comic books never stopped either. But there has been nothing new in the world of RoboCop since the reboot years ago aside from a comic series or two, and those got little to no attention. So I'm having trouble believing this is a real idea at all but I would also give it a shot for sure if it does ever happen.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboFan
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote

This will never get made.

RB 34

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
The show Gotham had a similar premise, the world of Batman before Batman. But that show also had access to Batman's full rogue gallery

And yet it makes zero sense. All the villains would be old enough to be in wheelchairs when the "real" Batman appears into the city tongue I didnīt watch all the seasons, but it felt desperate to put baddies like Bane before Bruce Wayne puts the pointy ears.

As for a Dick Jones show, I find it difficult to get it right. If you wanna make a drama about corporations donīt use the RoboCop brand for it. Itīs ok to show flashbacks about the past to enhance the Near Future Detroit, like in the movies and TV shows, but itīd hard to swallow if someone promised you a new RoboCop film/show to see thereīs no hint of the main character.

I saw on Facebook people saying theyīd prefer a Clarence Boddicker series, or even a Bixby Snyder one. Hard to say. Canīt picture them, unles the Snyder one is sitcom/drama so different and so far away for the rest of the RoboUniverse that wonīt make sense anyway.

We need a new RoboCop show. About RoboCop. WITH RoboCop.

RB 11786

Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote

They really over did it with the DC prequels. Gotham, Krypton and a show about Batmans butler Pennyworth. (!!!)
But there obviously is an audience for that as people ARE watching.

Of course, RoboCop doesn't quite hold the same fan power as Batman and superman.

RB 348130

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard