New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Joel Kinnaman talks - Why the Remake failed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote

Fummelcop :
He looked like some Doofus in a scuba suit.

True, specially with the black suit. Looks like he´s wearing some neoprene stuff. And the rubbery black part on his head doesn´t help either. Plus, it looks lazy as hell.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote

Guys, guys, we need to cut costs, any ideas?
We could get rid of Jackson.
No!
Oldman?
NO!
Keaton?
HELL NO!!!
How about the Robo suit?
We could scratch the cool 12 million dollar cgi suit and replace it with a scuba suit and slap $200 worth of styrofoam on it!
And instead of making it look like metal, we'll make it black and call it "tactical".
Brilliant!!!

RB 787

game-xbox
RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Wow! I just found out Michael K. Williams (Lewis) just died. 😢

RB 1156

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:53 am Reply with quote

I just hope the next attempt goes a bit wackier.. not R3 wacky bit just..but just weird

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote

There are a lot of elements that caused it to fail. I think the casting was wrong in some areas and the story differed too much from the original. It lacked much of what made the original great. Murphy interacts with his family after becoming RoboCop?! Part of what made the original great was that search for his humanity after becoming RoboCop. This one just lacked that emotional grapple that Murphy suffered from. The costume would not have been so bad had they kept the silver suit through the whole film. At least that one resembled the original. Lets not forget a lack of a worthwhile villain. Fallon was no Boddicker...

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote

RoboWags :
Murphy interacts with his family after becoming RoboCop?!

That´s way too silly. I think on a psychological level would we weird for ALL OF THEM to be together. Plus, the wife and kid reacts pretty good to the fact they´re talking with a toaster who has the face and hand of their former daddy/husband. I think it´d work better, storywise, to have them confront each other (perhaps Murphy going by himself to his former house) and the family getting in shock after watching who´s after the explosion.

Plus, the happy ending at the end is way too sugar coated. As you said, it´s about the search for his humanity, but he´s not a guy anymore. Having his back to the silver suit and "Ok, I´m well oiled and shiny, let´s go home" is ridiculous.

RoboWags :
The costume would not have been so bad had they kept the silver suit through the whole film. At least that one resembled the original.

And yet the silver suit is useless in the film. He does NOTHING with it. Which is sad. I tried to do some edits in the film to do a trailer or whatever using that suit, but he only jumps and runs like Mario with it. Sad

RoboWags :
Lets not forget a lack of a worthwhile villain. Fallon was no Boddicker...

RebootCop doesn´t have a villain. And the pathetic use of Keaton´s as a baddie in the last 5 minutes is laughable. They didn´t know what to do with the film. I´d try to "forgive" them, as the third act was changed in the last minute with reshoots, but the rest of the film isn´t very good. I kinda liked the opening with the ED-209 (but as for a CGI rebooted version they lacked "personality"), but after that everything went downhill. Lame excuse to make a RoboCop (a car explosion? C´mon. You could even kill him out of frame, but make it worth it), and the story makes little sense.

As a bunch of people said before, RebootCop tries to be smart, but it isn´t. Just the opposite of the original. The Verhoeven one would look silly to some people, but it´s smarted than most people think.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:22 am Reply with quote

I still love the movie, not as any improvement upon the original...it could never top it, but...I really enjoyed the "slow-burn" approach to telling the transition story from human to cyborg, what that might entail, and how it would affect someone personally and their family dynamic...I thoroughly enjoyed all of that stuff. They just really didn't take advantage of his prowess, his new abilities as a cyborg to fight crime quite as much as the original film did...they needed more scenes where we see just what RoboCop can actually do to criminals. The original portrayed him in some realistic scenarios but dealing with criminals in fantastical, clever ways, like blowing a rapist's balls off right through the dress of his potential victim. (lol) We didn't see alot of that in the reboot. Also, we didn't see any real villains with colorful, interesting personality, and Michael Keaton's character only really showed any hint of evil towards the end, further muddling that role. I don't know...there was just so much muddled in it, some great parts and really cool concepts, but not as concise and cohesive story-wise as the original. Having said all that, like I said, there was enough for me to still enjoy it as a really slick, if not neutered, attempt at a retelling...

RB 1633

ultra4
WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote

The design and look of the suit was average for me. With what they went with, if everything else was good and fell in place, the costume wouldn’t really matter to much in my opinion. But yeah, it was fairly lame.

I have mixed opinions on R vs PG-13 rating. Both I think both can be acceptable, as long as there’s a really good script. Which in this case, there wasn’t.

But as Joel and Fummelcop touched on, I like different things about the movie. It’s not all terrible. For example, if it wasn’t called Robocop, and it was a knock off movie. I think people would be less critical of it. Once you enter remake territory, you’re stepping on hallowed ground. Everything you do is going to be compared to the original and over analyzed.

RB 1163

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet UC-M21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard