New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

"Your husband is dead. I don't know you."

NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that this is a heart wrenching scene, but it's always bothered me how we get this scene and noting to do with it afterwards.

However, if we look at how it is depicted in the Avatar series, it happens after the dismantling. Here, Ellen is remarried and pregnant.

For me, this would be a much more powerful scene due to it occurring during Robo's darkest hour, would firmly conclude this angle and would also explain why Robo gives into Faxx's reprogramming so easily.

Thoughts?

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote

While I'm not so sure that would have been the best way to play it (Especially how the comic shows it).. I agree it would be better than not playing on it whatsoever - Which I concur is also bothersome, indeed is one of R2's biggest failures story-wise. As Glenn Orr wrote on the site many eons ago..

A wiser man than me :
RoboCop 2 introduces yet never satisfactorily resolves Murphy’s despair over his estrangement from his wife and son. We see him actually meet with his wife once, but he quickly sends her away, parroting the company line that he’s “just a machine” given him moments earlier by the *sshole lawyer guy from OCP. Many folks still seem a tad perplexed as to why Murphy would do this, but it’s always seemed rather sensible to me. Murphy, at this moment, is at his lowest, believing that he has nothing left to offer his family and that what is best for them is to believe that he’s dead and to move on with their lives.

A very noble -- although clearly downbeat -- thing for Murphy to do.

However, the problem, from a storytelling standpoint, with this is that you simply can’t tackle an item as big and emotionally wrenching as Murphy’s Angst Over His Estrangement From His Family and then effectively do nothing with it. I can tell you that when I first saw RoboCop 2, I fully expected to see Murphy’s wife and son reenter the narrative fray at some point in the film. Perhaps near the middle of the movie, or at the end, at least. Perhaps they’d find themselves in harm’s way somehow, caught in the crossfire between the cops and Cain’s Nuke Cartel maybe. Murphy would have to rush in to save them, thus forcing a final, no-questions-left-unanswered resolution between he and his family. When that didn’t happen, I remember feeling cheated and confused. “Why even bring this issue up again if they were gonna basically leave it where it had been left at the end of the first movie,” I recall asking myself in a darkened movie theater back in 1990. And to this day, I still don’t have an answer to that question.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote

Im in the minority but I just dont see what else could have been done after this. This was his closure, this was his decision to let go of his family and alienate them. Thats it. As the deleted scene showed, he visited his grave afterwards and said goodbye to his past

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Im in the minority but I just dont see what else could have been done after this. This was his closure, this was his decision to let go of his family and alienate them. Thats it. As the deleted scene showed, he visited his grave afterwards and said goodbye to his past

I don't disagree for the most part myself about the 'moving on' point, I'm simply agreeing with Orr's process of following that same logic onto the inexorable conclusion of 'if nothing else can/is gonna be done with it, then why even bother bringing it back up?' Murphy moving on can be plainly extrapolated from the conclusion of R1.

Now if they indeed did subsequently include the grave scene, even that I think it would make this sequence more palatable narratively speaking. Hammering in he really has let go. Not much, but still something. But as it stands the 'reunion' scene just seems unnecessary. Which comes off odd given how much other secondary exposition was 'trimmed' out for the sake of lowering the runtime and keeping the action prevalent.

Of course all bullshit aside I realize it's ultimately just 2's vain attempt to have some form of 'heart', it's own version of the 'home' scene. Putting aside that it does little if anything to soften what is still a too-harsh film, the difference is the home sequence in the first film serves a proper actual purpose in the story there. This doesn't.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
edgeofthecosmos
O-L2

O-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote

NOF :
I think we can all agree that this is a heart wrenching scene, but it's always bothered me how we get this scene and noting to do with it afterwards.

However, if we look at how it is depicted in the Avatar series, it happens after the dismantling. Here, Ellen is remarried and pregnant.

For me, this would be a much more powerful scene due to it occurring during Robo's darkest hour, would firmly conclude this angle and would also explain why Robo gives into Faxx's reprogramming so easily.

Thoughts?

They saved the audience the trouble by not going down that path. It would have been powerful but very painful to watch. The movie would need more runtime to explain it right otherwise it comes off as shallow for such a life changing event for multiple people involved, the wife, the kid.

RB 1031

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:20 am Reply with quote

I never liked that scene. It seemed to be a cheap way of injecting the movie with materialism and the corporation's cold legal justifications as an obstacle that the hero must overcome but he never does. Yes, Murphy is nobly protecting his family from harm and regret, but I reverses all his progress coming to terms with life after becoming a cyborg that helps him finish his revenge in RoboCop 1.
I think I would have rather had a scene in RoboCop 2 where someone tries to get Murphy to go to this reunion, only to have him avoid it for some reason, and then perhaps in the patrol car on the way to the arcade where he and Lewis beat up Officer Duffy, have RoboCop and Lewis talking in the squad car about it. RoboCop could reveal to her, his partner and friend (although RoboCop 2 does nothing to show they even have a relationship with each other, another step backward from the RoboCop 1 progress), that he is afraid to face them, that he is frustrated about what they would say, and about what he would say to them. Maybe after the heart to heart with Lewis, he may come to the conclusion that he isn't ready or maybe that it won't work at all, but coming to that conclusion preserves his humanity. People aren't perfect and neither is he.
Sure it dodges the issue for the next writer/director to flesh out, but even that would dovetail into the death scene with Hobb and the RoboCop 3 character relationship with the young girl in a much more interesting way.
Maybe RoboCop never finds the answer to this problem, but the fact that he thinks about it, and struggles with it, makes him more human than he got to be in RoboCop 2.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:11 am Reply with quote

As sad and frustrating as I found it back in the day, I think it is the natural outcome, as we saw how the Robodad plotline is even more frustrating in the reboot film.

I think the stalking bit is super interesting, but that and the encounter with Ellen is the first stone to Murphy's journey in R2: dealing with depression.

For years now that is how I have interpreted R2 story arc, he is still mourning and trying to accept that his past life is no more, so he focuses on his new purpose (work or being a superhero) and Cain becomes his obsession.

The dismemberment by torture is a reality slap, it is failure and a reminder that he is not invincible (similar to Dick Jones & ED-209 encounter in R1, but much earlier in the movie), and his whole reprogramming could be seen as an allegory of going to therapy or rehab and being put on prozac.

This is one of the reasons why, despite its flaws, I am still a big time fan of R2 as a sequel and an appreciator of what Frank Miller tried to achieve. He contributed to further Robo's character journey as no other media has achieved again, and that deserves credit.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote

I was just thinking about how the Frank Miller reunion scene in the comic takes place when Robo is disassembled. Unlike the movie, there's a certain helplessness that comes out of that image. What is RoboCop going to do? He's been torn apart physically and now he gets this bombshell about his wife. I think I like this presentation better than the scene we got in the movie. Here RoboCop is a cyborg talking to his wife, but putting on a strong face despite the fact that he could just blurt out, "I know who I am!" Instead he tries to be the strong one and protect her from further sadness, but she leaves not really believing it anyway. In the next scene with RoboCop watching her argue with the lawyer before leaving, he looks like he doesn't believe in what he has done even if it might be for the best. He wants to be whole again, but has to give up on that part of himself.
Seeing his rivalry with Cain as a way of burying himself in his work is a good way to explain why the movie never returns to this conflict, but most would probably suspect that no one really knew what to do with it anyway. It is not satisfying to me to see it just move on without resolution or without any acknowledgement of it by the characters. I still feel that the scene needs to be there, I just wish that there was more to it.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Personally, I think the scene above works on a few levels:

- it gives ample reason for Murphy to fall trap to the reprogramming (him being dismantled, the finality of Ellen moving on and being pregnant)
- it acts as the full stop on their relationship. Where else can you go with it?
- having it take place after the dismantling adds greater poignancy and pathos to his predicament.
- it's a chance to do some deep exploration of Murphy's psyche.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote

NOF :

There was some scenes , such as the shower scene and the cemetary but they were deleted.
This said , there are some subtle elements, the flashback of his son triggered when Hob shots him in the head,
and later the way Murph' behaves with Hob when he's dying, are some kind of continuity with the theme of his family 'loss'.

RB 1199

game-xbox
RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:37 pm Reply with quote

I always think about “What If” questions when it comes to the Robocop movies. I’ve wondered what if Murphy acknowledged his wife in R2 and tells her that he still remembers her. Would he have had a relationship with his family like he did in the Robocop 2014 film? Or would his family come around often like in the tv series. I know he didn’t tell him who he was on the show, but he was always there to look after his family.

RB 1156

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote

The Robo in the remake was much more human and could have a normal conversation, unlike the robotic Robo of the originals. It would have been interesting to see but a family dinner would probably have been very awkward.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
It would have been interesting to see but a family dinner would probably have been very awkward.

It would be stupid, as in the remake. Part of Robo´s "appeal" is he loses everything. His body and his former life, which includes his wife and kid. I can´t picture any situation where he could be involved with his family unless the stuff done in the TV projects. And in the 1994, they didn´t know he´s Murphy; in PD Jimmy discover it in the middle of the miniseries.

As for Robo2, I think the Ellen/Murphy scene is one of the more interesting scenes in the sequel. Murphy does the logical: he can´t go home, all smiling, and tries to sit on a regular chair when reading the newspaper, so he lies to her. He can´t do much to regain his former life. As Robo says in the series, he only can "protect them". Which is noble (but I´d cut in half the family appereances in the show. I think they utilice way too much over the 22 episodes).

As for RebootCop, even being "more human" didn´t hide the fact getting a regular conversation with his family is plain stupid. And the fairytale ending, walking with his family (in the gray suit he had to be for the entire movie) make it even worse.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I’ve often wondered about Murphy’s son Jimmy and how would he feel if he knew his dad was Robocop. Would he be horrified or would he think it’s cool to have a dad who’s a real life super hero?

RB 1156

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard