New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop Remake possibilities!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote

How did the helmet come off if it is screwed directly into Robo?

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Reed :
One of the best scenes/episodes in the series! Almost made me cry.. Crying or Very sad

yeah but pity that only one good scene ( I hope I am right ) Neutral

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Sgt. Reed
L-L2

L-L2

I know how real cops kick ass.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote

RoboDuck :
How did the helmet come off if it is screwed directly into Robo?

Maybe the screws broke or whatever?
Hahaha remember in Prime Directives how Fletcher just put the helmet on without the screws in a couple if scenes and it stayed on his head as if the screws were in place. Laughing

RB 66

sgt-reed the-crow-figure mk-reptile
Sgt. Reed
L-L2

L-L2

I know how real cops kick ass.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote

Nika Silwerra :
Reed :
One of the best scenes/episodes in the series! Almost made me cry.. Crying or Very sad

yeah but pity that only one good scene ( I hope I am right ) Neutral

Well the series had it's moments. It was a whole different thing than the first two movies, but it's a hellofalot better than PD!
There were a few decent episodes, but there sure were some bad ones as well! Confused
I personally liked the ones involving Murphys family and the fact that they always nearly found out who he was, but in the end were left guessing.

RB 66

sgt-reed the-crow-figure mk-reptile
serenitysfall
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A REBOOT OF HIM AND MAYBE A NEW FEMALE PARTNER THAT IS A ROBOT HERSELF

RB 27

Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote

^ Bah, despite the fact that that statement is kinda silly anyway, that all caps shit has to go - all it does is make you sound more like a loud-mouth dumbass.

Seriously, all it takes is moving your finger 7/16th of an inch from the 'A' key. Try it. :roll:

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote

I hate to come across as a bit of an extremist, and I also don't want to sound like a n00bish, narrow-minded, nostalgic fanboy, but I feel . . . .

Kevlar Antelope :
*snip*I think a remake of a perfect original is sacreligious and these two words should never be uttered in the same sentence: RoboCop and Remake.

. . . . this way. The first film is a masterpiece, and I really like the second movie. However, I still cringe at Robocop 3, and I continue to be a bit uncomfortable about anything made after the second movie. Yes, much of it has to do with my affinity for Mr. Weller and his work as Robocop. Robocop doesn't feel like an "everyman" type of character, that say Batman does; Alex Murphy has a lot of specificity to him, and much of that resides with Mr. Weller for me. The same for Officer Lewis, Sgt. Reed, Johnson, and the list goes on.

That much being said, I also feel that there's not much more to explore with the Robocop story, other than perhaps crime serials or something. Alex Murphy lost everything when he was murdered. Done. He's tough, but not totally invincible. I've played one too many bad Robocop video games to know that, so check. There's just not a whole lot a full-fledged movie would offer me, unless all of the ingredients that made the first film were present.

Also (especially with the evolution of media), I don't feel like a movie is the have-to medium here. I think comics [done well] are a great fit. I can see video games working well, if Robo's not an uber-wuss (see previous comment). Ghost in the Shell quality animation would be a nice fit as well.

But a total remake of Robocop? I'll watch it, sure, but it just feels completely unnecessary to me.

I really hope my comments aren't off-putting or come across in ways unintended (see top of post, Laughing ). Thanks for allowing me to express my opinions and viewpoints Smile

"Waste makes haste. For time is fleeting. A rolling stone is worth two in the bush.

Smile"

RB 549

Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Quoted from myself in the topic Sayonara RoboCop? A retrospective review of 22 years

Me :
The only new thing I think would have the best chance (And even then, it would be pretty slim) would have to be a 'Resurrection' type of story, something that's part sequel and part reinvention, something sort of like the original R2 'Corporate Wars' story. That was crap to do back then because people were expecting a straight sequel, a kind of cookie-cutter film that still had most of the things from the original. That idea, even if they re-worked it, would have just been too radical then. But now, I think an idea like that might work pretty well. After all, that story goes with Robo being blown up, and then brought back in a radically different world - and that's more or less what we got now as compared to the 80s. Many things and elements would be different, the movie would have to take on some different issues. But, there would still have to be some central points from the original in there, some familiar things.

Anyway, that's just some ideas. But if there is something new, I myself think that's how it'd have to go. A full re-invention would be just pointless now ... many of the things that made the original great simply can't be replicated in the world we live in now. And any other idea for a continuation would just be weak, silly and be way past it's time as well.

A few years back, Verhoeven himself talks about a 'Resurrection' kind of story for a sequel/continuation for these times -

Paul Verhoeven :

He would have to be resurrected, like he was asleep for so many years and they didn't use him anymore and now in this time of terrorism or whatever they would say ok, he can be resurrected again. He would be laying like a mummy in a warehouse basically and.. something like that. I think if you were to do it now you would have to reflect the world we live in now. I would start from scratch and find an innovative story that would satisfy all the people that are basically longing, like me, for a good sequel (chuckles).

Also, I'll refer to my Corporate Wars topic, it touches on this a bit as well.

But, there's my say. I don't care for a full-on 're-invention', and never did. Otherwise, I guess that's it for now.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Quoted from myself in the topic Sayonara RoboCop? A retrospective review of 22 years

Me :
The only new thing I think would have the best chance (And even then, it would be pretty slim) would have to be a 'Resurrection' type of story, something that's part sequel and part reinvention, something sort of like the original R2 'Corporate Wars' story. That was crap to do back then because people were expecting a straight sequel, a kind of cookie-cutter film that still had most of the things from the original. That idea, even if they re-worked it, would have just been too radical then. But now, I think an idea like that might work pretty well. After all, that story goes with Robo being blown up, and then brought back in a radically different world - and that's more or less what we got now as compared to the 80s. Many things and elements would be different, the movie would have to take on some different issues. But, there would still have to be some central points from the original in there, some familiar things.

Anyway, that's just some ideas. But if there is something new, I myself think that's how it'd have to go. A full re-invention would be just pointless now ... many of the things that made the original great simply can't be replicated in the world we live in now. And any other idea for a continuation would just be weak, silly and be way past it's time as well.

A few years back, Verhoeven himself talks about a 'Resurrection' kind of story for a sequel/continuation for these times -

Paul Verhoeven :

He would have to be resurrected, like he was asleep for so many years and they didn't use him anymore and now in this time of terrorism or whatever they would say ok, he can be resurrected again. He would be laying like a mummy in a warehouse basically and.. something like that. I think if you were to do it now you would have to reflect the world we live in now. I would start from scratch and find an innovative story that would satisfy all the people that are basically longing, like me, for a good sequel (chuckles).

Also, I'll refer to my Corporate Wars topic, it touches on this a bit as well.

But, there's my say. I don't care for a full-on 're-invention', and never did. Otherwise, I guess that's it for now.

Yeah, I mostly agree with you there, man. I really think the key things Hollywood doesn't get about Robocop now is that it's quite a bit more ambitious than what it is at face value. We all here know that Robocop and other things made from it have more to say than "robot good guy blowing things up". Despite how some feel that the other things following the first film may have some of that, it's really bad now, imo.

A part of me just wants to let Hollywood do their thing and not connect anything from the previous Robocop lore to it just because I feel like they don't "get it", so just don't even try. I remember my first reaction to seeing the teaser posters was just me rolling my eyes and thinking, "well, I guess Robocop needs remade now, too. Oh brother."

I am fastly coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as originality in Hollywood anymore, hence the need to remake ANYTHING that has any nostalgic connection with my generation to simply make a buck.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" indeed . . . .

RB 549

Scratch Card
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote

*Edited for clarity on the subject of Michael Bay*
Stan The Man :

Paul Verhoeven :

True Stan. Why does everything have to be a straight reboot and deletion of all previous work? I'll never understand Hollywood and their advertising.

Why can't there be an end product that successfully creates a reintroduction without ignoring said "franchise's" history/back story?

I really think Verhoeven's idea hits the right mark. It doesn't discredit the old films and creates an entirely new set of problems for Murphy/Robo. Another thing popular in remakes is making them more modern (like that really adds soooo much more to the story Confused ). This idea would definitely hit that mark and maybe even surpass it.

Not only is there unlimited territory for the Man lost in a machine/lost humanity story line, but a whole new dark edge is attached to it now that (in verhoeven's idea) he is years or decades in the future and it's probable that everyone he's gotten to know/love (aka Lewis, Reed, etc) are most likely all dead or very old and retired.

Not only that, but I think that for today's audience who knows nothing of RoboCop, this is a very original idea. I mean really, a movie about an outdated cyborg cop that has been in storage for years. Then suddenly being pulled out of "retirement", most likely upgraded, and then put back into deployment to violently kick criminal ass in a politically correct utopia future. (come to think of it, that's pretty much Demolition Man.mr green )

You'd have old fans seeing the continuation story of a beloved character and the new fans discovering the awesome-ness of it all for the first time. And with out discrediting the old films, it's more of an incentive for this newer generation to check them out because they actually add more to the new film in terms of a fuller representation of the backstory.

And after all, isn't that another part in the Hollywood fat cat scheme to remake an old film/franchise? People wanting to rent/buy the original product in anticipation of the new one?

This gives the intentionally ignorant youth of today more incentive to seek out the old films, rather than ride them off as outdated, digital effect lacking, low def attempts at true Michael Bay cinema/art (that being sarcasm).

The problem is, people today are lazier than ever. If it's not handed to them or presented in a way that doesn't require some amount of brain usage, then they want no part of it. No curiosity or possibility of blind leadership can shake them from their narrow perspective.

"If it's black and white, then I automatically don't want to see it, I don't care how good it is."

or

"I don't care if Coldplay's song 'Talk' is a note for note rip off of Kraftwerk's 'Computer Love', the newer version has a higher production value and was originally mixed and mastered on a digital non analog format. Scientifically proving that it is audibly superior. Plus it just sounds better!"

or

"REDBULL!"

People and industry need to get a fucking reality check.

It's such a damn shame that Verhoeven's idea will never come to fruition. All of the wishful thinking in the world will never amount to anything against the unstoppable, amphetamine pumping, soul crushing, money fueled, rape machine of Hollywood capitalism.

I guess we'd all better get with the times and stop worrying. Or commit suicide.

"If there is hope, it lies in the proles"

RB 249

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote

Deus :
It's such a damn shame that Verhoeven's idea will never come to fruition. All of the wishful thinking in the world will never amount to anything against the unstoppable, amphetamine pumping, soul crushing, money fueled, rape machine of Hollywood capitalism.

But they can't stop my dreaming, so in a minuscule and pointless way, I always win, bwahaha! tongue

Deus :
Not only that, but I think that for today's audience who knows nothing of RoboCop, this is a very original idea. I mean really, a movie about an outdated cyborg cop that has been in storage for years. Then suddenly being pulled out of "retirement", most likely upgraded, and then put back into deployment to violently kick criminal ass in a politically correct utopia future. (come to think of it, that's pretty much Demolition Man. mr green)

If it can work for a cheeser action flick, why not? That kind of thing has been discussed earlier in this topic anyway.

The original Corporate Wars story is just that base idea applied in its own way to the RoboCop world, and can work. But, you all know this stuff from my other topic so I won't repeat myself much more here.

Anyway, Verhoeven already came to that same conclusion about 'the studios just cashing in on what was there' decades ago as we all have read, so it's not like we're hearing anything much new here.

Still, good points Deus, you pretty much hit it.

RB 52679

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote

Deus I really hope you were referring to the ignorant youth as the ones seeing and/or thinking "true michael bay's cinema/art". I think that's what you were going for, but it's hard to tell.

Because I know a wood paneling aficionado like yourself couldn't believe this was really art. I'll give, they are visually stunning, but that's about it. Except for The Island, I thought that one was good.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Anyway, Verhoeven already came to that same conclusion about 'the studios just cashing in on what was there' decades ago as we all have read, so it's not like we're hearing anything much new here.

Still, good points Deus, you pretty much hit it.

I was going more for the point of:

If it is fact that the "Studios" will maximize any cinematic effort and resulting DVD distribution to it's fullest extent in an effort to reap the most profits from an old franchise.

then

By stripping the cannon from and completely ignoring the previous RoboCop films, they would only hinder their overall monetary intake by ways of not placing importance on the existing products as a way to expand the back story and overall arc of the new film.

Which if done subtly, would not seem like a tired and rehashed sequel to a dead series of movies. A la the Verhoeven idea. (btw, any idea of when he said that about the sequel?)

The old films will probably see an overall rise in DVD sales prior to the release of the "remake" (as the studios/distributors are most likely aware of) but those sales will be less because today's modern film going audience, who is begging to be dead inside at the age of 25, will not be motivated enough to shell out their money for a few 20+ year old films that aren't necessary to watch next to it's "retelling/imagining".

Am I anymore clearer or did I just fully repeat myself with no additional clarity?

And don't worry Demise, Michael Bay needs to have his directing privileges restricted by law. Like you said, he knows how to work well in terms of blocking and shooting for CGI action sequences, but his understanding of human emotion and motivation is child like at best.

Mass commercial marketing of modern cesspool pop culture references is what he excels at, and that is a part of the reason Americans are exposed to 3000 advertising messages a day, why women are berated with unreachable images of feminine beauty, how talentless studio enhanced musicians of all genres fill stadiums, and why individualism has been replaced with the easy living of filtered popular consensus.

Michael Bay is a cog in a social system that is pushing ever onward towards fascistic image obsession and the eventual end of celebrated originality.

Michael Bay is the opposite of Wood Paneling.

IMHO.

RB 249

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote

So my wood paneling is better than Micheal Bay? Well, like I said, nothing new there. tongue

Deus :
A la the Verhoeven idea. (btw, any idea of when he said that about the sequel?)

The actual quote was probably said some years later (some time after both R2 and R3 came out), because he says he saw 'them', and though he isn't very well-versed in English, I think he's referring to them (R2 & R3) in proper plural so, that's what I figure. Plus he the quotes he talks in a rather retrospective manner, so again, I figure it has to be some time afterward.

Though I'm sure he came to that opinion once he left and they made R2, if not right after that.

RB 52679

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard