New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2 - What happened?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Kevlar Antelope
Crime Prevention Unit

Sgt-L5

Comment: Kuwabara, Kuwabara...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:36 am Reply with quote

Ok so I just watched RoboCop 2 after many, many years of not viewing it on it's old VHS tape I recently purchases the DVD. Popped it in and was ready for a trip down nostalgia lane...which it was but it opened up a can of worms I was not expecting.

The scenes are there as I remember, the dialogue was there too, but the feeling was gone. When I watch RoboCop everytime I view it I get into it and feel the emotions, get caught up in, and cheer on Robo.

This time around was kind well kinda like a machine. Robo meets mechinal monster, they battle, the end. What happened to the Murphy trying to rediscover his past? He's practically stalking his wife in the beginning, and you feel bad for him and when she confronts him, he basically brushes her off. The most powerful scene in the film is when OCP is questioning him in the very beginning about who he is.

After this the subject is never touched on again. Like what happened? Did they say ok the first 20 minutes is the emotion part the rest of the story is about a drug lord becoming a big robocop2 and then they fight...it's like a whole new movie. Kid villain yep. Softball team of 10 year olds beating up an old man. PC Robo Cop, it's all there.

I guess I'm just a bit dissapointed in the lack of respect they truely gave this sequel, it could have been so much more.

Plus why do I not remember the plastic blue and purple hyrbid armor being this terrible?

Please if I'm not the only one here that feels this way lemme know, if not join in and tell me what you think.

RB 1453

TMNT LaraCroft James Bond
ibuybug
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: a fan since 1990

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there. Especially the blue armor, yuck.

RB 76

Swedish Robot
C-L2

C-L2

Comment: Formerly Draliseth

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote

ibyabyg :
I pretty much agree with everything you wrote there. Especially the blue armor, yuck.

It was gorgeous in night shots so... hush.

RB 320

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote

I gotta say i find it a bit strange when people claim to be ROBOCOP fans when they seem to hate everything after RoboCop1.
Sure Robo2 is flawed but calling it "shit" as many people do is going a little to far.

Personally i think the visual look and the colors of RoboCop2 is stunning, which includes the suit which is my favorite version. But story wise, yes, it's a mess.

From what the fans have found out and learned along the years, the production of robo2 was complicated, and all that was in the script didn't really end up on the screen. Many, many of the more emotional scenes was cut in favor of making a more action oriented movie.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote

I think its a case of 'we can make a sequel from a successful film and everyone will go to see it'.

And to be honest I dont think they put that much effort in...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote

RoboDuck :
I think s a case of 'we camake a sequel from a scessf film and yone will go to see it'.

It's a bit early in the week for the booze isn't it? huh what

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Kevlar Antelope
Crime Prevention Unit

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
I gotta say i find it a bit strange when people claim to be ROBOCOP fans when they seem to hate everything after RoboCop1.
Sure Robo2 is flawed but calling it "shit" as many people do is going a little to far.

Personally i think the visual look and the colors of RoboCop2 is stunning, which includes the suit which is my favorite version. But story wise, yes, it's a mess.

From what the fans have found out and learned threw the years, the production of robo2 was complicated, and all that was in the script didn't really end up on the screen. Many, many of the more emotional scenes was cut in favor of making a more action oriented movie.

I agree that calling it shit would be going too far. it's a decent sequel at best. But as you you don't see how fans of RoboCop can be fans if they hate everything after 1. But I feel the total opposite, how can Robo fans claim to be fans if they love the grade C sequel and atrocious Robo3, and the cheesy PD tv show.

We might have to agree to disagree on this one.

RB 1453

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Yes, the loss of humanity in Murphy character is enormous, after taking out fom the story his wife in the first ten minutes, the only link we have with true Murphy is Lewis, another underused character of the movie, and the moment where Hob is dying and he speaks to him. Very little, near nothing.

It's not easy anyway continuing the humanity story of RoboCop, once he takes back his identity... what more? I think there is no point in trying to recover his life, it's just impossible, a relationship with his family would be frustrating and going nowhere, we know it. So they just made an standard superhero who would fight bad guys endlessly, problem is there isn't anymore that primal instinc against Clarence that makes us hate him and want him an horrible death, as he had, with an explosion of emotions (rage-vengeance-euphoria), in the first movie.

As I said once in a thread I opened, it seems more to me that the second film was more an EGO fight between Robo and Cain... very different from the motivations of the first film.

But you know, I think it's not just Verhoeven abscence, I've arrived to the conclusion that films like Basic Instinct, Starship Troopers (which I like very much), Flesh+Blood or Hollow man have an enormous lack of humanity, there is cynism everywhere, specially in the main characters. Of course there is cynism in Robo movie, i.e. Bob Morton is a "bad good guy". But for me RoboCop is an exception in Verhoeven filmography in the sense that that film is the only one I've seen of Verhoeven where he touches so strongly the humanity of a main character.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Robocop2 is equivilant Spiderman3.. its Pretty, its a mess storywise, and it was a dissapointment.

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
But as you you don't see how fans of RoboCop can be fans if they hate everything after 1.

one my friend loves jst the R2 and why ?! he is 18 year old .. but when told the sentece " Robocop 2 is better as R1 " he had just 15 years .. ! Very easy younger folks just love films with many action scenes as the Robocop 2 has ! Yeah if you are a 15 years old you dont need an emotion scenes you need just the action ! So I think R2 was made just for this age category and it is really pity !

btw very good oppinions boys . really nice read it !

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Kevlar Antelope
Crime Prevention Unit

Sgt-L5

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote

I mean everyone likes action, especially guys...But even at 15 I wanted some emotional content in my movies...saying all 15 year olds like all mindless action is like saying like all guys love football and drink.

RB 1453

ibuybug
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: a fan since 1990

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote

When I first saw R2 I thought it was better than the first. I was a teenager with passion to simple action movies. Later on when I grew up I began to understand what the movies were really about. At that point I realized the superiority of the first Robocop as a movie. To me the other two are just movies with Robocop starring.

I think it's OK not to like the sequels. But if one doesn't even like the first movie then this forum is probably not for him/her. Discussion is always welcome.

RB 76

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Well, it seems we all liked much more R2 when we were kids.

I personally wasn't sure if R2 was better than R1, I though it was cooler, but in someway I knew R1 was more authentic and a better movie.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
RoboDuck :
I think s a case of 'we camake a sequel from a scessf film and yone will go to see it'.

It's a bit early in the week for the booze isn't it? huh what

Sorry about that.

Using the PS3, if you nudge the mouse it messes up and misses out letters...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard