New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

A few good things also in PD , R3 and series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Comment: Boob Snortin' and Dicky Boy

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote

I liked the jet-pack design in Robocop 3, but the FX weren't very good.

RB 723

judge-dredd-lawgiver conan-sword punisher-skull conan-sword2 terminator-skull Rambo-Knife
Officer Harvey
Metro West District, Detroit Police Department, OCP

O-L1

Comment: I'm not in a Labor Union. I'm a Police Officer. I Don't Strike.

Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote

Good things:

PD-Cable's story, another rival RoboCop was interesting idea, especially Murphy's ex-partner prior to Lewis and Metro West. Plus I liked Cable's twin Auto 9's lol

The Series: Episodes dealing with Murphy and his family-something about that stuff strikes you although sometimes it could get repetitious in plot but it was always nice to shed some light on Murphy's humanity. Bonus as well, Richard Eden enjoyed playing the role and as a fan, I appreciate that-sometimes, you want to see some actors enjoying what they do without ego interfering. He was second best after Weller in the role.

R3: End of OCP, Basil Poledouris scored. End. I was disappointed that they didnt pick up the family subplot from 2, minus the overall poor direction of what the studio wanted the franchise to go.

RB 25

Philip17
And the Masters of the Universe

L-L2

Comment: Its a good day to die!

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote

In the series with Eden, I like the police robo cruiser, and the sound of the siren Smile

When duty calls; you pay the price!
Join today!

RB 537

sgt-reed Masters-Skeletor Masters-Sword SW-Imperial
Neoranger
R-L5

R-L5

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote

The series I love. It's my favorite RoboCop fix, after R1. It's easier for me to count the things I don't like about it, than the ones I do.

PD... I like the premise, for the most part. I some times like Fletcher. I don't quite like his performance as RoboCop, but I can see he at least had passion for the role, if that makes any sense. The TV stuff were golden (probably the best part in execution for the whole thing). I actually thing if instead of milking four episodes they condensed the story in two, the whole thing would've worked a lot better.

R3... nothing about it. It's not *that* horrible, it just seems... needless. The premise would've worked a lot better if there was a better connection between the three films, regarding Murphy's breaking out of his robotic confines and becoming more human... you know, what pretty much EVERY RoboCop material deals with. Since there is no such connection, it's just a poor effort at doing something with the IP, only lacking even the most basic of great things about the first film. Okay, if I have to pick something, the corny "You called for backup" sequence is pretty cool. As well as burning through the police station. Also, points for the shock of Lewis dying. Couldn't have seen that coming to save my life.

RB 101

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote

I've gone on record about this before I liked the quicker more aggressive style of movement Robert Burke brought to Robo 3,And Robo Confronting Mcdagget in his hotel room was kinda cool.The series I liked the power ram's in Robo's feet that he used to anchor himself in position,The Mustang pursuit car was Hot for the Time.Pudface ruled,P.D. a side from Cable just lookin cool as hell that was a waste of film and a abomination to the Robo franchise.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Philip17 :
In the series with Eden, I like the police robo cruiser, and the sound of the siren Smile

Oh yeah ! The his cruiser. Since the time I saw the his car in the series I am a Ford Mustang fan ! Smile Robo looks great with the car , oh like in the Neorangers avatar ! Great pose, totally on the same way as the poster from R1. The Ford Taurus is of course so typical for him and for the films, but the Mustang is much more cool !

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
bucka607
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote

i havent been on this in a long time but i thin R3 and PD had good storylines but they were really badly made. I didnt think Burke was that bad to be honest in R3. They tried to bring out more of his human side which is a good thing in its own way but kinda messed it up. Eden was better towards the end of the series he came into his stride. i liked what they did between him and his father. The PD's had a good storyline but come on saint was a rip off of diana/metronet. Out of them all id prefer R3 i think.

RB 66

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote

I agree with everyone on here that "R3" had some absolutely outstanding moments, and actually ideas (as you may realise after reading how I've explained them below) but on the whole, overall, the film was unfortunately poorly-advised, NOT executed. The actual production of the movie, and the technical aspects, were just as high-quality as any other studio movie I've ever seen, but it was the "creative decisions" amongst the "above-the-line" crew and executives that hampered this film. The "below-the-line" crew, which is the camera, sound, production design, stunts and effects, and editing departments, were all nothing short of exceptional. No one, including anyone on this board, can fault them, of all people; it wasn't their fault, and working in the industry myself, I just wanted to "defend" them, and make that clear.

If they had just NOT of had a kid in it, or ninjas, maintained the high level of violence from the first two films, and had Murphy's wife and son as part of the rebel group hiding from the Rehabs, and appropriately handled (script and direction wise), I know for a fact every fan, if not the majority of the "RoboCop" fandom, would of loved "R3".

But, here are (actually quite a few) things I admire and like a great deal from the film. I'm not even gonna bother giving "PD" the time or effort, as I hated it:

-- Coming 'full circle' with the Lewis character. I once read that Allen stipulated that if Weller wasn't going to do R3, then she wanted her character killed off. This was Allen being VERY smart. Now that Murphy had been dead for quite some time now, but since that time, had been Robo, her being murdered, with him witnessing it, and whilst on-duty, seemed very fitting and appropriate for the character, just like she had witnessed Murphy being originally murdered. It was an ingenious twist of events, where the tables had been turned, mimicking the original, paying a tribute to it in a way, and respecting Neumier and Miner in a way.

-- That entire sequence, starting from when Marie takes the memory-erasure chip that the cocky OCP exec. gave her and smashing it, all the way to when Robo says "Officer down" and we pan away from him and a dead Lewis, was very memorable for me, especially how he keeps looking back from the innocents inside to McDagget giving it his policy speech, Dekker having the camera moving closer and closer to Robo whilst he contemplates what to do, going through his directives. Then that real kick-ass shot of Robo (even if it was sped-up in editing), after Robo views his "Never oppose an OCP officer" directive over a shot of the Rehab logo on one of their vans; you know in a hot second he's made his mind, then when he fires a few rounds and declares "You are making a mistake"; Burke at his very best. I didn't agree with the major continuity error of Robo being so damaged and internally affected from a 40mm grenade launcher, when he'd been given far more hell from ED-209 in "R1" and RoboCain in "R2".

-- Continuing with Murphy's humanity; when he's flashbacking between helpless, innocent civilians being taken away by Rehabs, and his wife and son, with Lewis and Marie watching. I would of liked it though if there had been a few "bonding" scenes between Lewis and Marie, as opposed to Lewis just giving the latter a bit of a dirty look, when she asks to be alone with him. The sequence leading up to when Marie brings him back, after extensive repairs in the underground sanctuary, where we're flying through this computerised tunnel, and that shot of Nancy Allen from "R1", is absolutely fantastic. Using just that one shot from the original movie is so powerful and says so much, and I loved what the sound editing department did with echoing her voice, and adding that rumbling underground noise in the background.

The short scene where Marie is fitting him up with the jetpack. She says "Get them for me will you", and this line triggers Murphy to playback his recording of Lewis pleading with him to "Get them for me"; them being McDagget and the Rehabs, adds so much, whilst still being a very short segment; a simple note that the director and writers of "R2" should of had in plain sight the whole time they were filming and cutting that film; not that I'm saying "R3" is superior to "R2", but it DEFINITELY is when it comes to focusing the story on Murphy's humanity, and having scenes exploring that part of the character.

-- The gun-arm; a brilliant extension to Robo's arsenal of weaponry, and kudos to Dekker for designing such an aesthetically pleasing and awesome piece of kit. Yes, that's right, it was Dekker who designed that, and showed it to a blown away Rob Bottin, who loved it.

-- Dekker's choice of camera shots, movement and angles; faultless. I loved how he'd have the camera rush up to Robo and others on a dolly and track. It added such fast, kinetic energy.

-- Jill Hennessy as Marie Lazarus was a real woman of the 90's; feisty and kick-ass, and I loved the scene where she's thrown into that backroom, sees the CCTV, pulls up a mini-ladder, stomps up it, and just shouts to the camera: "YOU LOUSY SONS OF BITCHS!". Love it! And her protesting and pleading to the public via that camera, thanks to the little girl, Niko, broadcasting it (somehow!) via her laptop, speaks volumes.

-- John Castle as McDaggit; someone on here pointed out it had quite a classic RoboCop villian characteristic and feel about him, and I agree. He was, in a way, the upper-class, high-brow version of Clarence Boddicker, who as we all remember, was working-class, if not lower, and very low-brow. Castle was excellent in all his scenes, and played off brilliantly opposite Allen during her scene outside the church, leading up to him just unexpectedly filling her with lead.

-- Nancy Allen as Lewis; a superb final performance, and stole every one of her scenes. I loved in particular who expression when she dodges the red Corvette at the traffic lights, but then by doing so, goes smashing over some parked vehicles. Priceless.

-- Coming nicely onto the whole chase sequence between the rebels and the cops, lead by Lewis. This was shot, staged and edited very well, with such visceral tension and excitement, and beared Poledouris's best cue of the whole movie, which he wrote a great theme for, and in a way, could be called the "Lewis Theme". The shot where the van pulls out of camera, then Allen pushes on the acclerator to reach the camera truck, and deliver her line "Unit 477 in pursuit, Eastbound Esposito", is technically excellent, especially since it shows Allen actually driving, not a stuntwoman, and Dekker doesn't cut away from it; he lets it play out fully, so that the audience can see that it is the actress herself driving.

-- Robert Burke as Murphy/Robo; on the whole, pretty good, and he delivered some of his lines perfectly, such as "She said no! Maybe you have a hearing problem", "DON'T!", "I have a message from Officer Lewis", "By resisting arrest. The murder of Anne Lewis.", "Police officer. No loitering", "You called for backup?", "Make that...two", and "I'm fine, and call me Murphy". I also loved the hilarious moment where he strolls up to that pimp, and the pimp spins to him with a knife and goes "What is a problem, sucker?! I mean...officer.", and the look Burke gives there is spot-on. I can't help though but look at his lips during Lewis's 'deathbed' scene, and he just seems to have a very slight smirk or grin, whereas when the little girl says to him "Come on, come with us!", he does that awesome slow head-turn up to her, and he looks well and truly pissed off! That expression I wanted him to have whilst looking down at Lewis, as it was perfection, but then, at the same time, he knew he was dying, and perhaps Burke opted to have a more sympathetic, softer and sombre expression, but I just wish he had used that pissed off look when he says "I promise." Other than that, I thought his movements on the whole were good, but didn't like one bit how he would at times keep his arms up at waist length. I also didn't how he'd say something that was "robotic" and not "Murphyic", but no one can blame Burke for that; only the writers. He was perfect during the whole church sequence, especially outside.

-- Robo's entrance. Now, yes, it is quite extravagant and very far-fetched for him to drive off the open-roof level of a car park, begin nose-diving, then suddenly, land perfectly on all 4 wheels. BUT, shooting through the roof, appearing the way he (Burke) does, then letting rip with their awesome gun-arm, is absolutely spot-on, and finally, that shot of his foot stomping onto the tarmac (with the usual powerful, heart-punching sound effect!), then Dekker panning up quick to his face, for him to say: "You called for backup?" - classic, just a classic. Also love him catching the bullet, before it kills Lewis, twirling to kill the off-screen Splatterpunk who fired it, then Dekker having the camera rush up to his face (a shot that surprisngly had not been attempted, or if so, not used in the previous two films) so brilliantly quick when he says: "Make that...two", is pretty damn good.

-- And finally, last but not least, Robert DoQui as Sergeant Reed; this guy was the underrated star of the trilogy, and for the first time, was given a decent, prominent role in the latter half of "R3". When the rebels are walking the streets, now having fled their sanctuary that was raided by the Rehabs, there's a class shot of Reed and pretty much his entire police department "coming over the hill" in their cars. Dekker was being smart here again; this was blatantly a metaphor for all those classic cowboy western films, where the calvalry comes to the rescue, on their horses, and it works perfectly in this futuristic/modern-day context, as do the previous films. I once read a review by a very popular respected TV guide here in the UK, called "Radio Times", and the first line of it was: "Hi-tech meets High Noon", and he or she was so right.

Moving on though, Reed jumps out of his squad car, and deputises all the rebels: "It's time to show how REAL cops kick ass!". With that line, and that line only, Reed became so much more than just the frustrated, stressed out Sergeant we'd always seen back at the station, and never out of it. He was now a character that had genuine strength and a solid backbone, much like Murphy and Lewis. Kudos to the writers for that one.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :

If they had just NOT of had a kid in it, or ninjas, maintained the high level of violence from the first two films, and had Murphy's wife and son as part of the rebel group hiding from the Rehabs, and appropriately handled (script and direction wise), I know for a fact every fan, if not the majority of the "RoboCop" fandom, would of loved "R3".

And if Murphy was actually in the movie, not a walking GPS that doesnt understand basic human behavior and cant even communicate like people. And also if the movie didnt try to suck up to the original and copy so much from it. And of course, if it didnt have every single scene having a plothole (see the R3 fan commentary thread)

Im also gonna have to disagree with some of the things

Quote:
Robo, her being murdered, with him witnessing it, and whilst on-duty, seemed very fitting and appropriate for the character, just like she had witnessed Murphy being originally murdered. It was an ingenious twist of events, where the tables had been turned, mimicking the original, paying a tribute to it in a way, and respecting Neumier and Miner in a way.

The thing is that I dont see it as full circle because Lewis never tried to avenge Murphy and never went on for any personal vengeance mission or investigation. Besides, killing off Lewis was done for the above mentioned casting reasons, not to serve the story, and as press noticed, that looong list of things copied from the original wasnt any story serving decision either, just a $ motivated decision to copy the movie that made more money and was more successfull. As some reviewers said, the art and story went out the window in order to copy the successfull formula. The result is an extremely flawed, pubescent almost-remake of the original. R3 was everything thats wrong with Hollywood - it wasnt about the storytelling or art anymore. It was now following the typical Holywood FORMULA - "copy the first movie cause it made more money". And so we have forced and contrived ties with the first one, like cinematography (color and visual presentation), music, similar scenes (like the ending) and constant throwbacks (delta city, the dollar guy, remembering death). Its just so planned out and forced that it makes the movie even worse. I think thats one of the biggest problems -that it had guidelines and formula to follow. That greatly limited the story. That and further limitations - the appeal to kids. And of course, the absolutely awful and unlogical script

Quote:
That entire sequence, starting from when Marie takes the memory-erasure chip that the cocky OCP exec. gave her and smashing it, all the way to when Robo says "Officer down" and we pan away from him and a dead Lewis, was very memorable for me, especially how he keeps looking back from the innocents inside to McDagget giving it his policy speech, Dekker having the camera moving closer and closer to Robo whilst he contemplates what to do, going through his directives.

Well that part is one of the most flawed and ridiculous in the movie. As noted in other thread in a scene-by-scene commentary -
So just between the scenes you mentioned we have:
Quote:
* More GPS robot-robo - "You look like youve been friends with a mac truck" , "I dont have many-friends"...uh, robo, this is something called joke. Im sure robots dont understand that but humans sometimes joke around and arent always literal in their statement. Seriously, you want to tell me this automat was a human being one time? No way!Marie was right in that this robot utilizes human tissue, but she was completely wrong about Murphy being there somewhere. Theres no Murphy there, thats for sure. Not a single trace of him or any humanity or personality. He is even more alien to human emotions and behavior than he ever was, even in the first part of R1 when he was just a cyborg with wiped out memory

* Fleck is actually a good character (to a point) because he has that classic OCP asshole personality to him. I just dont understand why the Robot_Robo doesnt even pay attention to the conversation Marie has with Fleck about wiping his memory

* THE WINNER: my favorite, and the absolute king of ridiculousness here - Fleck orders to wipe out Robo's memory and - get ready for it - it so happened that the Doc JUST had the microneurobarrier to wiping out Robocop memories in his pocket!! How convenient! But you know, never leave home without it
Also, here's a couple logical problems with that idiotic device:
- Everything that had something to do with Murphy's brain was done when they were constructing him, because - well, the changes to the brain have to be done surgically, thats why they wiped out his memory right off the bat, right in the first stages when they were dealing with brain, because...
-...if it could be done in any other way, they would wipe out his memory again again when he gained it back in R1 or in R2 when Murphy's persona was resisting the new directives. The idea of just planting a chip somewhere without taking Robo apart or complicated surgery is just laughable. And how funny that after all these years someone from OCP, who's not even a scientist would think of an idea of erasing Murphy from Robocop. If it couldve been done, it wouldve been done a long time ago

* When Marie and Lewis look at the monitors and reflex over Murphy's memories, Robot-robo is completely absent and unresponsive, like a piece of equipment

* We then see Marie watching Murphy's memories so she can feel sorry for him. If you ask me, its pretty obvious she wouldnt erase his memory even without seeing the videos again, but like in every kids movie, everything has to be spelled out and shown in a painfully obvious way. In this case the young audience may not assume that Marie feels erasing those memories is wrong, so they have to be shown a scene where the video memories are supposedly making her decision harder

* Why is Robo asking questions he already knows the answers for? I really dont understand what was the purpose of that line about Lewis' brother. I know it was suppose to add some tension and uncertainty about Robo's memory, but like this? Otherwise this line just doesnt make sense logically.(sarcasm on) And why is that robot asking to call him Murphy? (sarcasm off)

* Why the hell is Robo aiming a gun at the people in the church? Not only they werent armed but they also didnt pose any threat and didnt even move. And he doesnt stop aiming at them untill the rehabs arrive and take his attention with the lights

* Do rehabs really have a teleportation device? Its the second time they suddenly appear out of a thin air. Lewis came in from the outside, she would surely see some approaching cars or just about anything. It was a quiet and empty and late night. 4 seconds after she enters the church from the outside we hear rehabs. Robo and Lewis take a peek outside and..surprise! Suddenly the whole place is surrounded by rehabs who are already formed in tactical formation, packed all of their cars and vans around, prepared their weapons and the entire equipment including the search lights. They just materialized out of thin air, they surely have some teleportation device, right? ONLY in cartoon baby

* What the hell is Directive 4 doing back after so many years? I thought it was obvious that it was taken down after the events in R1 when it presented its flaws and contradiction to law. A man was taken hostage and the attacker and murder suspect couldnt be handled by Police Officer because of that directive. Logically, it was absent in R2. So what is that doing back here now? Not to mention in R1 he just couldnt arrest a high rank OCP guy, it never said anything about obeying them. "Never oppose an OCP officer". Well, I think writers themselves instantly forgot what directive they gave Robo because he simply breaks that rule with ease - he doesnt listen to Mcdagget, he doest step away from the door. He just cannot shoot him, which would indicate that Directive 4 is the same one as in R1 - that he cannot arrest or kill OCP guys. But the incosistent writing and a bad plothole says that thats not what the directive says, and he breaks it like that yet his programm doesnt allow him to do something thats not even listed in his directives. Duh..

* What happened with Lewis' IQ? First of all, why on Earth is she challenging the entire squadron of armed and armored rehabs with one handgun, NO ARMOR and NO COVER? In R2, even when shes armored like a soldeir with body armor and helmet, she still uses Robo for cover. HEre she stands there like a duck, IN FRONT OF ROBO, with nothing to hide behind, no body armor..I mean, its so completely devoided of any logic that its mind blowing.

* Its also amazing how now Robo and Lewis are taking a stand for the evicted people when rehabs want them out of the building, yet they did completely nothing when they witnessed parents being separated from children with force

*Well ok, Robo doesnt shoot a high rank OCP officer for some reason (and of course, we know that because of the bad writing the writers confused or incorrectly wrte the Directive 4), why isnt he just shooting the other rehabs then? Is he suppose to listen to the regular recruits too? Wow, thats pretty bad then

* One of the worst GPS-Robocop moments in the entire movie. Lewis gets shot, shes dying. Yet he STILL doesnt show ANY kind of emotion. Nothing. Instead he talks like a factory robot or GPS by just coldly stating the facts in a monotone voice. When Lewis got shot in R1, Robo shouted "Lewis!!" on the top of his lungs, with both fear and concern in his scream. Can you imagine the same Robo doing what the GPS-Robo is doing here?

Rest here:http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2013&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Quote:
Then that real kick-ass shot of Robo (even if it was sped-up in editing), after Robo views his "Never oppose an OCP officer" directive over a shot of the Rehab logo on one of their vans; you know in a hot second he's made his mind, then when he fires a few rounds and declares "You are making a mistake"; Burke at his very best.

And yet he flat out broke the directive by saying so and for some reason did not shoot msdagget, even tho the directive doesnt mention killing or arresting OCP rehabs, just disobeying him which he already broke

Quote:
Continuing with Murphy's humanity

Laughing No such thing in R3. Robocop never shows any emotions, never shows pain or concern, and cant even talk like human "vehicle approaching". Compare Burke's reaction to Lewis getting shot in R3 to Weller's shouts in R1. Lol, one of them was heavily fuelled with valium throughout the entire movie

Quote:
where we're flying through this computerised tunnel, and that shot of Nancy Allen from "R1", is absolutely fantastic. Using just that one shot from the original movie is so powerful and says so much, and I loved what the sound editing department did with echoing her voice, and adding that rumbling underground noise in the background.

Interesting how POVs may differ. For me it was a very cheaply done morph that was suppose to force on us Marie as Lewis' replacement. I saw no point in this morph or any connection between the characters

Quote:
DEFINITELY is when it comes to focusing the story on Murphy's humanity, and having scenes exploring that part of the character.

I dont think I have ever disagreed more on this forum than with this sentence. First of all, Robo acts like an empty machine that neevr ever been human in R3. Murphy is completely gone, not only Muprhy but any traces of human being. In R2 we get Murphy spying on his family, we hear his shaky, almost crying voice when hes mentally tortured by Holzgang, and we get the classic witty Murphy lines and personality when dealing with criminals. Then theres more - his soft, great delivery while talking to dying Hob, his anger throughout the movie etc etc. We never got ANY, ANY kind of emotions or Murphy-like behavior from Burke except for one line

Quote:
The gun-arm; a brilliant extension to Robo's arsenal of weaponry, and kudos to Dekker for designing such an aesthetically pleasing and awesome piece of kit. Yes, that's right, it was Dekker who designed that, and showed it to a blown away Rob Bottin, who loved it.

I heavily disagree as well. I dont think Dekker in any way blew Bottin away. All he designed was an action figure-like detachable gun arm. If thats genius, then action figure designers are geniuses as well. Dekker did everything Verhoeven was trying not to - not to go over the top and not to present the character like a superhero or action figre that could change arms and fly

Quote:
Coming nicely onto the whole chase sequence between the rebels and the cops, lead by Lewis. This was shot, staged and edited very well

Disagree. There are several problems with that scene. Ill just name 2 - editing: the cars sliding upside down are very clearly empty. Story: they did not drive far away from the donut shop yet the backup comes ridiculously late

Quote:
Robo's entrance. Now, yes, it is quite extravagant and very far-fetched for him to drive off the open-roof level of a car park, begin nose-diving, then suddenly, land perfectly on all 4 wheels. BUT, shooting through the roof, appearing the way he (Burke) does, then letting rip with their awesome gun-arm, is absolutely spot-on, and finally, that shot of his foot stomping onto the tarmac (with the usual powerful, heart-punching sound effect!), then Dekker panning up quick to his face, for him to say: "You called for backup?" - classic, just a classic.

I thought it was extremely juvenile, completely devoided of logic sequence and shootout. Nothing in that entrance made sense and it was even filled with humor

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Metronet
R-L3

R-L3

Comment: And now a word on nutrition

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote

For R3, RoboCop's first flying scene on his jet pack is the only part that gets me excited. The scene is set up such that when hope is almost lost, here Robo comes to save the day!

On PD, it was a nice gesture to feature James Murphy in the storyline, which contributed to the drama of Alex Murphy. I remember the emotional confrontation between RoboCop and him towards the end of the third part, and he exclaims in frustration, "Don't call me Jimmy!". But that is pretty much the only moment I'll pay attention too. RoboCop exhibiting strong emotion to the point were he can shed tears still takes some getting used to.

The Series is the next best thing I can re-watch often, after R1. In short, Diana and Murphy's family/past make the best parts of the show. Since I like watching The Series, I'll write about it more. If I can pick a moment which stands out to me in each episode, this would be it:

Pilot - Diana merges into RoboCop to return him online.

Prime Suspect - RoboCop recollects being called soulless and meets up with Diana at a church.

Trouble in Delta City - RoboCop eavesdropping on Nancy Murphy.

Officer Missing - RoboCop telling the sick boy about his "friend," Jimmy, and that they don't talk anymore.

What Money Can't Buy - RoboCop uses his data spike to retrieve data from a damaged CD.

Ghosts of War - As a dying Diana calls out for "Alex", Frank recognizes RoboCop as Murphy.

Zone Five - The Chairman remotely nullifies RoboCop's limiter chip, thus permitting him to enter zone five.

Provision 22 - RoboCop grabs hold of the technician's arms, preventing him from removing the helmet, just as Gadget with Jimmy enter the room.

Faces of Eve - RoboCop calls upon Diana to help stop his cyborg termination program in sequence.

When Justice Fails - A frozen RoboCop uses his data spike to reheat himself.

The Human Factor - RoboCop playing chess with Russell Murphy.

Inside Crime - RoboCop is set on fire.

RoboCop vs Commander Cash - RoboCop asks and finds out what "Cartoon Law" is.

Illusions - RoboCop says he's used to being thought of as just a machine.

Tin Man - RoboCop forcing Malloy to recite his own rules and get him to remember himself and Murphy.

Sisters in Crime - Nancy Murphy explains why she is a part of a feminist organization.

Heartbreakers - RoboCop does his gun twirl while apprehending a criminal

Mothers Day - Jimmy leaps over a car, lands on the perpetrator, and rescues Gadget.

Nano - While in the RoboCruiser stuck in traffic, hippie-mode Diana flirts with Alex.

Corporate Raiders - Russell Murphy returns RoboCop's helmet, and confronts his son.

Midnight Minus One - RoboCop remembers his human death, and finds the inner strength to defy being crushed in a car crusher.

Public Enemies - RoboCop uses the barrel of the auto-9 to strike the wall button for the blast doors. It was a neat way of seeing the gun as an extension to his body.

One more thing I'd like to mention is The Series had an episode called "Tin Man" which was similar to PD. The Series had a plot where Murphy's partner from the past is featured in the present, but made into a pawn. RoboCop brings back his partner's humanity by forcing him to remember. Sounds familiar to Cable's story in PD, right? But I thought this one-hour episode far better at executing this plot, than the eight hours of PD.

RB 111

game-xbox
ElectricSoul
O-L5*

O-L5*

Comment: Listen to me,you FUCK!!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote

RoboCop 3 COULD have been a decent film....the underlying theme and plot is good,with the idea of OCP being taken over by another corporation (especially after ,i imagine, the massive payout's having to be made after the RoboCain fiasco...they HAD to be hurting!) ,coupled with the final push to get Delta City back on track,and the people on the streets attempts to stand up and stop it....and hearing Basil's sweet score again was a welcome touch....sorry,but 'RoboSalsa' doesn't do a fucking thing for me! even Otomo,on the concept,i felt could have been good,the idea of the Japanese making things better than us,in this case a human looking robot that has full range of motion,makes sense to me....the Japanese ALWAYS make it better than us!

problems were with the acting,the cheapness of the effects and prosthetics, McDaggett really wasn't an interesting or effective villian,kid-sidekick.....

it could've been a good,nt great,but good RoboCop film,but too much fucked it up...

RB 261

darkman-figure ultra6 ultra4 marvel-venom Batman89 remake1 rocketeer-figure
Ponteral
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Dead or alive, you're coming with me.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote

Well, good thing in R3 and PD....

R3: Robo-suit, Beretta and flashback from R1

PD: Only Beretta.

I just can't say anything more about R3 and PD. I don't see more good things.

RB 819

auto9 dvd-20th
robocop87
R-L2

R-L2

Comment: Bitches Leave!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote

Josh :
Or. The. Fact. Fletcher. Has. To. Pause. After. Near. Enough. Every. Single. Word...
I was so excited when I found out about PD...I even went out and bought it...and when I watched it...I was like WTF is this crap?...this isn't robocop..who the hell is this dude....I made it through Meltdown but after robocop 3 it all went to hell

RB 40

razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote

What I liked:

R3. I liked the idea of OCP having a mercenary force despite the obvious overtones. Too bad we didn't see any blood flying everywhere but even I don't think that could save the movie.

Series: That Ford Mustang. Granted, the Taurus will forever be the preferred vehicle but I like that Mustang. Last of the 5.0 if I'm not mistaken.

PD: The idea of obsolete technology competing against new blood/tech.

RB 283

toaster baby-food game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard