New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop3 killed director Fred Dekker's career
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote

The site "411mania" has a new interview with Robo3 director Fred Dekker, and although most of it is about "Monster Squad" and it's upcoming DVD release, he gets to answer one Robo3 question. And the answer is surprisingly honest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: What did working on RoboCop 3 do for your career?

FRED DEKKER: Killed it. Dead. Dogs barking. Tumbleweeds. "Fred who?" The movie was not well regarded. I also think it was a no-win situation. The character that Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner created is a really interesting character. The first movie, the Paul Verhoeven movie, is a great movie. But his personal journey is really over at the end of that first movie, and he isn't the type of character like James Bond that's going to necessarily benefit from repeated adventures. In retrospect, we were screwed from the get-go. The company that I made the movie for was really adamant that we skew to a slighter younger audience. I don't think that was a mistake per-say, except that the character is very dark and his world is very violent and cynical. I think it was an uneasy alliance there. We had a lot of strikes against us, but I'm actually very pleased with a lot of that movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE:
www.411mania.com/movies/columns/57307/411-Movies-Interview:-The-Monster-Squad--Director-Fred-Dekker.htm

( Post edited for News forum )

RB 5709

RoboBabylonAD
The Kid Goes Wild

Sgt-L4

Comment: Angry and Young...Under the Gun...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote

"What did it do for your career?"

"It killed it."

LMFAO...too funny...*sigh*

RB A.D.

RB 353

robocop-figure3 robocop-helmet auto9 nuke-red-ramrod robocop3-gunarm dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 dvd-robocop3
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Sad but true.

More and more evindence is proofing, that RoboCop has been trashed by 3rd movie and kiddie merchandising.

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Its refreshing to know even Dekker didn't like it...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 am Reply with quote

Fred killed RoboCop, and RoboCop killed his career.

Justice.

( Nice find Nash! Smile )

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote

So, I guess this counts as...Career Suicide?

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote

ohh and does what he can to wait for so bad film ?!

but nice to see about the Freed something new

nice Nash !

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
EC-209
This is my BOOM! stick

Sgt-L2

Comment: Come get some...

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote

If Robocop3 killed Fred Dekker career I say that's what he deserves. If he was smart he would have read the script, placed it on the floor, unbuttoned his pants, and took a big shit on it. I'm telling you; I don't think he read this script. He was to happy to direct this movie and when he saw how it was evolving and wanted to pull out. It was to late. and his career was over. Ha, maybe this will teach him a lesson to always read the script first, then make the movie. Not the other way around.

RB 785

evildead-ash starwars-bobafett nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-blue-velvet nuke-black-thunder
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote

R3 might have blown...but Dekker directed "The Monster Squad."

That film rocked.

He's cool in my book.

RB 495

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote

EC-209 :
If Robocop3 killed Fred Dekker career I say that's what he deserves. If he was smart he would have read the script, placed it on the floor, unbuttoned his pants, and took a big shit on it. I'm telling you; I don't think he read this script. He was to happy to direct this movie and when he saw how it was evolving and wanted to pull out.

ahh very good I like your theory

mr green but I still dont understand why just this guy directed such film as Robocop .. he in the time did not have too many experiences with a big films ..ahh too young for making good Robocop Wink or I am wrong ?!

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote

interesting

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
CAIN MKII
the killing machine

C-L1

Comment: Artificial intelligence beat real stupidity.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote

This is what I call divine justice. Twisted Evil

Bwaaaaaaaah!!! PEA SHOOTER!!!

RB 1965

robocop-figure4 RoboCain-v2 prototype-figure1 prototype-figure2 nuke-red-ramrod dvd-robocop2 Gun-T2 Mini Gun punisher-skull
RoboStud
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Nice find!!!

Fred Dekker blames story of RoboCop ended in RoboCop 1 but I remember reading an article once that he sounded like he was so proud of finding the lost RoboCop 2 Script by Frank Miller and re-write it for RoboCop 3. He should blame his poor writing skills instead of RoboCop 1 because I thought the Frank Miller Script was much better in the "Frank Miller's RoboCop" comic than "RoboCop 3". He didn't even understand RoboCop's character and story. He couldn't even come up with his original RoboCop story so he took a good abandoned script from Frank Miller and mess it up and then blame on RoboCop 1 for lack of story to follow. What a loser!!! I am not a fan of Fred Dekker. I thought Monster Squad sucks too. Sorry if I offended Monster Squad fan.

RB 505

Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote

So is Dekker the one who came up with that dumbass ninja robot Otomo?

RB 495

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard