New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop3 killed director Fred Dekker's career
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Well Frank Miller is the guy most directly responsible for kill'n off Robo,Robo 2,and Robo 3,were oringinally the same screenplay Frank wrote that whole story ninjas and all.I think Fred Dekker was in a losing Battle from the start orion wanted 3 finished and out there in anyform so it could hopefully see some kind of box office action and make some much needed cash..Thats why it was dumbed down to a kid audiance they were trying to expand their market and make more money by getting the folk's that would'nt have brought their kid's too see Robo 2 to see Robo 3 now because it's a kid friendly movie..Folk's movies are a bussiness they are made to make money period to think that they're made to get the directors vision to the screen is daft at best.Think about this '87 to around '96 movies that were made normally would already have sequels planned before they even fully went into production on the first film.orion just flat out did'nt see Robo as anything more than a summertime cash cow thats what happend to Robocop 2 and 3 so blame orion as well..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
EC-209
This is my BOOM! stick

Sgt-L2

Comment: Come get some...

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Stupid Orion, humiliating and destroying one of their greats movie franchises'. You let me down Orion, you let me down.

RB 785

evildead-ash starwars-bobafett nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-blue-velvet nuke-black-thunder
Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Comment: Boob Snortin' and Dicky Boy

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I dont think Dekker had a career to begin with. Laughing

"Monster Squad" I liked when I was younger, but it was Goonies meets Dracula and the monsters basically.

The only thing of worth about ROBO 3 was Basil Poledouris' score, they should make a re-do of ROBO 2 DVD, by inserting Basil's music.

RB 723

judge-dredd-lawgiver conan-sword punisher-skull conan-sword2 terminator-skull Rambo-Knife
Demon619
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Deadman Walking

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote

He scewed up a good series, and his career suffered for it

RB 0

paul
R-L4

R-L4

Comment: You are under arrest.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote

RoboStud :
Nice find!!!

Fred Dekker blames story of RoboCop ended in RoboCop 1 but I remember reading an article once that he sounded like he was so proud of finding the lost RoboCop 2 Script by Frank Miller and re-write it for RoboCop 3. He should blame his poor writing skills instead of RoboCop 1 because I thought the Frank Miller Script was much better in the "Frank Miller's RoboCop" comic than "RoboCop 3". He didn't even understand RoboCop's character and story. He couldn't even come up with his original RoboCop story so he took a good abandoned script from Frank Miller and mess it up and then blame on RoboCop 1 for lack of story to follow. What a loser!!! I am not a fan of Fred Dekker. I thought Monster Squad sucks too. Sorry if I offended Monster Squad fan.

dude , i always thought that the story had room for a sequel at the point where lewis is shot up , and she says "murphy, i'm a mess" and then robo says "they'll fix you , they fixed everything"
i totally thought "lewis cyborg in robocop 2!" it just seemed like the natural evolution of things.

RB 517

Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote

The ending of Robo 1 had Ann Lewis in the hospital and I think Robo visiting her something.

Actually I am glad there was no bride of Robocop.

RB 723

judge-dredd-lawgiver conan-sword punisher-skull conan-sword2 terminator-skull Rambo-Knife
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote

RoboDuck :
The opening scene with the jump off of the car park was cool, if a little pointless

I like this too .. hmm but then got the film really weird direction ..also about the scenes where the two punkers made fire him .. that was really pointless .. damn he was standing there and did nothing .. why did not shoot them ?! the Right Robocop from R1 would kill them trice ! Confused as for Freed he maybe deserved the shame .. but what the bad Franks script ?! when the R2 was a mistake they had stop whole R3 project .. and maybe created better script gain bigger budget and to filming it around this time .surely also the effects with the flying would looks better ( if they wanted use it there ) but yeah is so easy write about it as to do it .. and it is also the reason why the Terminator is still above the Robocop ..Years after 1991 made of the Robocop just a stupid toy for kids .. damn ! just I am sorry for my favorite hero !

Quote:
..as anything more than a summertime cash cow thats what happend to Robocop 2 and 3 so blame orion as well..

right !

VegasRobo :
Well Frank Miller is the guy most directly responsible for kill'n off Robo,Robo 2,and Robo 3,were oringinally the same screenplay Frank wrote that whole story ninjas and all

Frank Miller personally he has my admiration as comics writer and artist yeah he is really good for comics but I think not good for a Robocop script
But as for the R2 script . the production used just very few things from the original Millers script and also the " humans " scenes what so miss there was re-written by Walon Green .. I think Frank Millers script was too much complicated compare with the from R1 ..during watching R1 I have really feeling woow this story has really very close to a reality , reality what maybe will happen in near future .. while the R2 has just a big story with really too many things but the atmospehe from first film is away and also the Robocop/Murphys character is changed .. anyways still good film compare with R3 .. but this start be off-topic sorry .. :roll:

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote

How does his unadulterated Robocop 2 script comic-book compare with the movie? Is it any better, if so, by how much?

RB 723

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote

All I can say is GOOD! because Fred Dekker killed RoboCop.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Nikko would be so upset over losing her parents and then a few moments later shes all perked up and excited over the prospect that RoboCop is chasing her and her new "friends" to arrest them for looting. surely it would have been better having a scene where they explain to her who they are so she knows whats going on, rather than being grabbed, puled into the back of a van like shes being abducted by a paedophile.

RoboCop 3 has some OK to good moments, but on a whole it is a God-awful film. A realy God-awful film.

RB 17167

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote

yeah the Robocop has more of murderers and the Freed is on the list on top + he and Miller killed Lewis . .prison for ruinning so cool characters ! rage

also the Robocop seems be too slow .. or only I have such feeling ?! also the final scene with the two ninjas ( really not good for a Robocop film .. still I thing they took an idea from Terminator ) I waited a great final battle with these two at least .. but the Robocop was not able with such good gun to kill them .. and really I doubt about it if Nikko achieved re-programe them ..the end was really bad oh dear

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Here is another pretty recent interview with Fred Dekker where he talks about Robo3 in greater lengths. What he felt he did wrong, what he would have done differently etc. Pretty interesting, but the man is still utter scum. tongue

LINK: Fred Dekker interview

The Robo 3 stuff is about halfway down the interview.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote

For convienience sake, I'm going to post-quote the RoboCop 3 related part of the interview.

Quote:
TS: So the last time you stepped behind the camera was with “RoboCop 3,” which has you sharing writing credits with comic book god Frank Miller. Did the two of you work together on that?

DEKKER: Yeah, we did a little bit. I was a huge fan, and still am, of Frank’s work in comics and he had written “RoboCop 2″ for Orion and Irvin Kershner. When they brought me aboard, they had a script Frank had written for “RoboCop 3″ that they really, frankly, weren’t all that interested in making and I said, “Guys, there’s so much wonderful stuff in this. Let me sort of dust it off and make it what you want it to be, which is a little bit more kid friendly,” which, in retrospect, was a fatal choice because I realized that the character and the tone of RoboCop is really action and cynicism first and heart second. And the mistake that I think I made was, let’s put the heart first and the action second and try to keep the cynicism to a minimum. While that is a wise move if you wanted to make a movie for a younger audience, the fact is the character wasn’t intended for a younger audience. So I think we kind of shot ourselves in the foot on that one.

TS: Was the studio pushing for a younger audience because they were doing toy tie-ins and cartoons and stuff?

DEKKER: Exactly, yeah. It was a cartoon series to them and said, hey, this is “Transformers,” you know, this is “Ghostbusters,” and I was so enamored with the character and to be able to play in this toy box and work with Rob Bottin, all these great technicians, cast and crew. I think we had a great cast in that movie, a lot of actors who have gone on to great stardom, so I was thrilled. I had a great time making the movie. I just made a few key mistakes and one of them was I don’t think I made it special enough from an action standpoint. I really wanted it to be a Hong Kong or Wachowski Brothers action movie, but I just didn’t have the money or the temerity to do it.

TS: There were a lot of great character actors that went on to do bigger parts after “RoboCop 3,” like Steven Root (”Office Space”) and Chi Chi Pounder (”The Shield”). What was it like working with them? Did you see any signs that they would go on to achieve what they have?

DEKKER: Sure. All very solid people. For Jill Hennessy, that was her first lead and she’s gone on to “Crossing Jordon” and being a big star; and Brad Whitford, who I just love, has recently gotten his Director Guilds card on “Studio 60.” These are just really solid, wonderful actors and it was a real turnaround for me to do that movie because I realized that the actors are really more important than the special effects and all the makeup and stuff. Those are all great tools to have, but there’s nothing better than great actors on screen, so that was a joy.

TS: If you were given a chance to go back and redo “RoboCop 3,” what would you change?

DEKKER: Good question. And I have to tell you, when you do something in life that you kind of wish you hadn’t or you made a mistake, you have recurring dreams about getting a chance to do it over. One of those dreams in my life is making this movie again. What I would have done is told the studio that I need enough money and resources from the Hong Kong action community, the Jackie Chan stunt team, or whoever it is, to make this something that American audiences have never seen before. I also would have probably not written the script myself but would have hired another writer, even besides Frank, to make it really sort of dark and cynical and have it be as wickedly funny as the first movie. Because I think that’s really what’s missing from it, it’s not funny enough and the action isn’t good enough. So I would have made it funnier and had better action and I think it would have been a big hit if we would have done that.

I like the parts about how he 'needed more money' and 'wanted to get Hong-Kong/Wachowski action' in it.

Great, so he basically wants to make R3 into a karate flick instead of a sci-fi action film.

Think about. Real Jackie Chan/Matrix-esque stunts and action.

On a RoboCop movie.

If anybody can tell me why this doesn't sound completely retarded, please let me know. :roll:

The 'needed enough money' part is also good. Granted, he didn't have the budget of T2 or the Matrix, but the point was that kind of budget wasn't really needed. The first movie proved $12 million was enough to make it, and if I'm not mistaken, this movie had a budget of near twice that, didn't it?

At least he rightfully realises that watering the movie down (And therefore, watering the entire character, tone and franchise down) to appeal to the youngins was the death knell.

As Archive said though, he's still scum. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

I almost spit out my coffee when i read the bit about Robo3 having "a lot of great character actors"

As we all know one of Robo3s big flaws was its crap and cheezy acting so calling Jill Hennessy and CCH Pounder "great character actors" is hilarious. Now, i haven't followed what they are doing nowadays, perhaps they've gotten better, but back in the R3 days they were producing some pretty low grade TV acting.

Fred Dekker just don't get it.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Fred Dekker justs needs to shut up about Robo3 and keep having bad dreams about his failure.

He needs to just live up his glory days with Monster Squad and leave Robo alone.

Shit, even some of the acting in the Series was much better. And granted their budgets were about 1/16th of the original movie's budget (per episode).

And those directers used it well. Within the limits of TV Violence, mind you.

Stop Whinning Fred!

-----Sean

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard