New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Peter Weller: "I have no interest in talking about Robo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    INDEX -> Front Page - Featured Topics
Nash
L-L3

L-L3

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote

While he is more than delighted to discuss ancient civilizations, he becomes more taciturn when asked about his part as the eponymous cyborg law enforcer in the sci-fi classic RoboCop, which just celebrated its 20th anniversary with a commemorative special edition DVD.

“I have no interest in talking about RoboCop,” he states sternly. “I’m very happy to have worked on RoboCop and very happy to leave it behind.” – The Singapore Straits Times/Asia News Network

SOURCE:
www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/10/5/tvnradio/20071005080436&sec=tvnradio

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full interview:

RoboCop is history

THESE days when Hollywood actor Peter Weller is not reading scripts, he is probably busy grading test papers. The 60-year-old Wisconsin native, best known for his roles in such cult films as RoboCop (1987) and Naked Lunch (1991), is also a teacher.

In addition to the Bachelor of Arts in theatre degree he got from the University of North Texas when he was a young man, he also received a master’s degree in Renaissance art in 2004 from New York’s Syracuse University, where he teaches occasionally.

“Enrolment didn’t go up when I taught there,” he joked in a recent phone interview from Los Angeles. “If I taught there all the time, maybe it would.”

Film fans and history buffs can now see him wear both hats as the globe-trotting guide in Engineering An Empire, an eight-part documentary series on The History Channel.

It is a follow-up to the Emmy-winning Rome: Engineering An Empire (2005), which he also hosted.

Using slick computer-generated imagery and live-action dramatisation to re-create historical events, the series unravels the ancient – and surprisingly advanced – architectural secrets behind such monuments as the Great Wall of China, the Egyptian pyramids and the Mayan underground aqueducts, Weller found the early builders’ achievements “astounding and mysterious”.

As such, “doing the series was a revelation for me because I had to do my own research as well”, he said.

“I just couldn’t trust the producers to write the stuff. Everything I was saying, I re-wrote it to make it more accessible and entertaining.”

Despite the scholarly detours, the veteran of over 50 feature films who is also a jazz enthusiast does not intend to ditch acting anytime soon.

“I can’t do the other thing without the show business part,” he said. “History is a passion and a hobby, it’s not a full-time job.”

“If I find something good enough to act, I’ll act,” said Weller, who played a villain opposite Kiefer Sutherland in the popular race-against-time TV thriller series 24 and directed a few episodes of Monk and Las Vegas.

Last year, Weller, who has dated actresses Sela Ward and Ali McGraw, tied the knot with his long-time girlfriend, Sheri Stowe, a corporate spokesperson.

“I love being married,” he said. While he may have been bitten by the teaching bug, he does not regret not pursuing it sooner.

“Teaching takes a lot of patience. When I was a younger man, I don’t think I had the character, I was too self-absorbed.”

Meanwhile, he is taking a hiatus from teaching and working on a doctorate degree at the University of California in Los Angeles which he hopes to complete by 2009.

While he is more than delighted to discuss ancient civilisations, he becomes more taciturn when asked about his part as the eponymous cyborg law enforcer in the sci-fi classic RoboCop, which just celebrated its 20th anniversary with a commemorative special edition DVD.

“I have no interest in talking about RoboCop,” he states sternly. “I’m very happy to have worked on RoboCop and very happy to leave it behind.” – The Singapore Straits Times/Asia News Network

RB 5709

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote

At least he didn't kill the reporter as is common courtesy with Peter Weller.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote

I just can't get it?! That's one if not the best of his roles ever!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote

ahh Weller why you are so bad to us ?! Well Robo fans has always many question but the reason is.. we love you .. love , peace Weller ! mr green
yeah ! Weller would not be anything without the "Robocop "!Just the Robocop role made of you a Hollywood star ! damn remember !
Wink

RB 4166

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote

His ego is too big I guess...

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Well I assume he wants all Robo fans to politely stop talking about Robocop to him. Well, now he will be met with a verbal assault the likes of which he could never predict would come back in '87.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Sgt. Reed
L-L2

L-L2

I know how real cops kick ass.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Ah Weller... oh dear What will it take to bring you to your senses?

RB 66

sgt-reed the-crow-figure mk-reptile
Parkan2005
Verbally challenged

L-L2

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I think i know why he said it.because he didnot know that in World wide web(internet)exist Robocoparchive ,where all member who like films with robocop very like peter weller.and he is not understand it.

RB 605

Blueprint
R-L3

R-L3

Comment: I can feel them, but I can't remember them

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure he is proud of Robocop but he has likely been bombarded by fans since 1987 asking the same questions about Robo and throwing lines at him from the movies. He is probably just burned out by that kind of thing. I doubt that Weller has any shame in being involved in Robocop. He is just having...trouble.

RB 274

DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Give this guy a break. Very Happy He had obviously some bad memories from being suited in rubber and fiberglass for hours. Smile

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
DJR2096
L-L4

L-L4

Comment: They'll fix you.......they fix everything!

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote

I guess he just don't wanna talk about Robocop.
Guess he's fed up talking bout it since 87.
I don't blame him one bit.
but on the other hand, I do wish he would lighten up about it to the fans.
If ya ask me, it is the movie that made him a name.
If not for that movie, it would be "Peter who"?.

RB 2513

dvd-robocop1 robocop-figure3
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Damnit!

DJR and Blueprint stole what I was going to say...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
DJR2096
L-L4

L-L4

Comment: They'll fix you.......they fix everything!

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote

RoboDuck :
Damnit!

Yes Duck, We read your mind Twisted Evil

RB 2513

dvd-robocop1 robocop-figure3
Sgt. Reed
L-L2

L-L2

I know how real cops kick ass.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote

DJR2096 :
RoboDuck :
Damnit!

Yes Duck, We read your mind Twisted Evil

You bastards... oh dear

I totally agree with you.
He went through all that in '87, it's continued for 20 years and there seems
to be no end to it.

I say it's his own fault, though.
WHY'D YOU HAVE TO BE SO AWESOME, WELLER??!?!?!?!?!Evil or Very Mad

RB 66

sgt-reed the-crow-figure mk-reptile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard