New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: PD - What went wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Curiously enough I just noticed Page Fletcher haven't done any acting since 2002. Robo: PD was released in 2001 then he is credited for ONE more acting job in 2002. After that.... nothing.

I tried to find out if the actual filming for his gig in 2002 was filmed BEFORE Robo:PD, but I couldn't find any info on it. Wouldn't it be kinda interesting if Robo:PD got Fletcher to quit the business.

Probably not true, but still.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote

It could be the RoboCop curse, the one that kills off any actor or director associated with the shit that came after the first film!

RB 2548

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Curiously enough I just noticed Page Fletcher haven't done any acting since 2002. Robo: PD was released in 2001 then he is credited for ONE more acting job in 2002. After that.... nothing.

I tried to find out if the actual filming for his gig in 2002 was filmed BEFORE Robo:PD, but I couldn't find any info on it. Wouldn't it be kinda interesting if Robo:PD got Fletcher to quit the business.

Probably not true, but still.

I did some searching stuff time ago and I think I saw somewhere that he quit making movies or TV, but he was doing stage plays. I could be wrong, but I remember something like that. Anyway, some of the actors from the miniseries donīt look too busy doing things either.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote

I honestly thought that Prime Directives was going in a good direction, but it just didn't measure up. We need to try not to compare it to the previous films and view it for what it is.

Pros:
Another installment to the series (although it does not recognize R2 or R3).
Good action (with some Robocop-esque gratuitous gore).
Some compelling themes (Robocop is obsolete, Delta City is safe and OCP succeeded)
Murphy backstory with some additional characters
The first Robocop to have a successful (and not suicidal or drug addicted) cyborg other than Robocop
Actors were good (tried to utilize lesser known actors probably to save money)

Cons
Story has a lot of elements and they become heavy-handed in the resolve (First two movies were easier to follow, but the last two were really pedantic).
Music/score was dull.
Dialogue was really silly at times (What are you prepared to do?)
Way too much slow motion camera and cgi effects (made it seem cheap).

I would rank the series with a strong 5/10.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote

I seem to recall there was an extensive Q and A with the scriptwriters before the thing was released. It was quite insightful and articulate.

Is there anyway another Q and A could be done for the site, but this time asking what went wrong?

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote

NOF :
Is there anyway another Q and A could be done for the site, but this time asking what went wrong?

At the time of that original Q&A the creators frequented the site and were readily available for such stuff. But I think the writers would be difficult to contact at all after all this time. Even if you were to get ahold of them I doubt they'd be inclined to commit to such thing - Let's put it this way: Say you did something that in itself was very much a clusterfuck, but ultimately was overwhelmingly badly received by its target fanbase and ended up being a near death-knell to an established franchise - Would you be willing to go back after a decade and half to a community that even on its best day still mostly won't care for your input just to go over piece-by-piece how you/others/things/etc fucked up? I wouldn't.

AFAIK, those behind PD booked as soon as they were able, before they could even get any real heat directly on them by this community, and I think things will remain that way. And honestly, that's probably for the better. We've had immense dissection and analysis of the show and especially all the faults and flaws of the production already, I doubt we'd learn anything new and instead would just get a bunch of excuses and 'I wish's.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote

NOF :
I seem to recall there was an extensive Q and A with the scriptwriters before the thing was released. It was quite insightful and articulate.

Yup, its still on the site.

Stan The Man :
Would you be willing to go back after a decade and half to a community that even on its best day still mostly won't care for your input just to go over piece-by-piece how you/others/things/etc fucked up? I wouldn't.

With these days of facebook, twitter etc, its a lot easier to get a hold of creators but as Stan said, they are not likely to be in a place where they would want to take part in a Q and A where the main focus is how much they and their work suck. I still maintain however that the writing wasn't PD's main problem.

While people like Fred Dekker nowadays can look back at their work objectivity and see the good and the bad, PD director Julian Grant apparently still (according to his facebook page) judge Robo:PD as some of his best work.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
PD director Julian Grant apparently still (according to his facebook page) judge Robo:PD as some of his best work.

Well, if he likes the character, I could understand why he says that. If not, I could understand it too tongue I mean, Robo is a pretty well known character, and his previous work were less known B-movies.

As for a "what they think about it right now", I think I could share the interview I did with Brad about PD. I was trying to do a Robo-special, but didnīt have any luck getting in touch with people from the movies. While the PD interview talks about some aspects from the miniseries (from the "bright Robo" to the "10 year old, bruised one"), I asked him what heīd like to change or upgrade from the experience.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote

What animosity I have towards those behind this damn thing, admittedly less of it is directed towards the writers - From everything I've read and seen they seemed most sincere about wanting to make something worthwhile despite all the difficulties. It wasn't quite enough though - I still believe, as many do, that they didn't truly and fully understand the depth and complexities of RoboCop and his universe, but they made an attempt and I do give 'em credit for that. And all-told, whatever issue(s) you take with the writing, it can't be denied that even at worst it's just one failure in a pile of 'em with this thing.

If they're willing I'll certainly hear 'em out, but as I said I doubt we'd learn anything new or otherwise glean any real different understanding about the whole thing.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
What animosity I have towards those behind this damn thing, admittedly less of it is directed towards the writers - From everything I've read and seen they seemed most sincere about wanting to make something worthwhile despite all the difficulties. It wasn't quite enough though - I still believe, as many do, that they didn't truly and fully understand the depth and complexities of RoboCop and his universe, but they made an attempt and I do give 'em credit for that. And all-told, whatever issue(s) you take with the writing, it can't be denied that even at worst it's just one failure in a pile of 'em with this thing.

If they're willing I'll certainly hear 'em out, but as I said I doubt we'd learn anything new or otherwise glean any real different understanding about the whole thing.

I think the whole RoboCop story is tricky to follow. After the first movie, what could you do? Trying to make Robo more over the top, but without the same sense of humour (R2), a emotionless cyborg (R3), follow so close the formula or trying to add something new on the mix (PD)? Iīm not a big fan of all the new technology themes on the miniseries, but I think it works in the context. Robo 2 & 3 follows the same theme: letīs put Murphy on a fight with a bigger, badass "robot". I like the fact the more reasonable way to make a "RoboCop 2" model would be based on the original design.

Everybody can like or dislike a story, but if the aspect and sound of the thing doesnīt match the rest, the whole thing looks bad. Iīd like to share a "recut scene" I edit from Meltdown, with the classic FX, the Poledouris score and more, if I find it. I think youīd find it less "horrendous" than the same thing with Mariachi themes and these kind of things. Thatīs why Iīd like to edit the whole thing (sadly, without the isolated dialog itīs impossible), because if you trim some things (everyone here loves the stairs scenes in Crash & Burn), add things from the script (funny elevator music, for example), trying to fix some FX and trying to cut crazy editing and 400 shots of the same thing (weīre not living in the 80īs anymore), it could look, at least, decent.

Some people did their own Star Wars edits, and they usually looks more watchable than the George Lucas new, "cool" edits, so I think you could improve this with a little bit of work.

As for the writers, I can see theyīd like to work there. It seems it was one of their first jobs. And they had the chance to work on that franchise. How cool is that?

And itīs interesting EVERYONE who gets to work on RoboCop admits they love the character and theyīre a fan. Thatīs the thing that I really donīt believe 100%. They could like the first movie or whatever, but I doubt we found a fan, a RoboNerd like us working on that character yet. Thatīs why the products we had werenīt great.

RB 10830

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote

I watched the first part of PD again fairly recently with a friend of mine who loves bad TV and movies. I would always talk about it so we checked it out. The new conclusion I came to is the thing that really sucks about is that there isn't enough Robo. Sure, that stuff is bad too but the other storylines and flashback shit and all this other crap surrounding the actual Robocop time is so mundane and boring its painful. Robocop the Series is probably even more ridiculous conceptually than PD for the most part, but a good chunk of every episode is devoted to Robo kicking ass so its better. Even the stuff with Robocable was enjoyable when it came to fruition, but all the blathering exposition is what keeps me from watching the whole series again.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Robocop the Series is probably even more ridiculous conceptually than PD for the most part, but a good chunk of every episode is devoted to Robo kicking ass so its better. Even the stuff with Robocable was enjoyable when it came to fruition, but all the blathering exposition is what keeps me from watching the whole series again.

Thatīs one of the issues I got with PD: Robo ends being a secondary character on the whole plot. RoboCable ends fighting and doing Roboīs stuff, while Murph gets kicked over and over. Some of those issues could be redone on the edit (got a piece of the Meltdown end fight where I cut stuff, and make it more like a fight. The original edit puts Robo kicking some ass and then the Robohunters shot him over and over).

As for the blablabla, I also agree with that, sometimes they cared too much for all the OCP meetings and flashbacks. Some could be trimmed, others cut. I think some people already said it here, but it looks some parts are done to fill the 90 minute mark on the flicks, so the fights could be repetitive, the use of the same action in 4 o 5 different shots and slomo to make it go for that runtime.

RB 10830

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote

It's been said (and I agree) that the pacing of every episodes is just shit, and seems to have been done deliberately - Repeating lines and ridiculously stretching out scenes to fill runtime. Plus all the cuts in scenes to "intense OCP boardroom action" just droll the whole damn thing. The Series episodes are shorter so they rarely had to shove catchphrases and stuff extraneous dialogue and sequences down our throats. And more importantly, this -

RoboPimp :
Robocop the Series is probably even more ridiculous conceptually than PD for the most part, but a good chunk of every episode is devoted to Robo kicking ass so its better. Even the stuff with Robocable was enjoyable when it came to fruition, but all the blathering exposition is what keeps me from watching the whole series again.

This is it right here. The show's titled 'RoboCop', so he should be the main thing. And what does RoboCop do? He kicks ass. Unfortunately neither of those are really true in PD. The original series, goofy and watered down though it may be, does at least generally hold true to actually having Robo in it and following through with Robo dishin' it out on good occasion.

RB 52679

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote

The first PD episode I thought did quite well to set the scene and characters and at least give a spark of hope to what may be awaiting in the other three episodes.

But that spark didn't go anywhere. The next three episodes could have been made into one.

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard