New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: PD - What went wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm with you Edd! The first Prime Directives movie (I think it was subtitled: Dark Justice) was a good place to start. I liked Bone Machine and John Cable. My biggest gripe was that they tried to force a compassionate Robocop/little innocent girl routine, like in Robocop 3 (which built off his newfound compassion in Robocop 2), and wasted time while Cable was resurrected. Resurrection (part 2 of PD) could certainly have been shortened or omitted (excluding the parts with the band of cyber chicks, that was cool). Part 3 (Meltdown) started to lose me. You have the most powerful robot in Detroit, joined by a similarly powerful clone (with two auto-9s) and all you got to thwart them is a sentient computer? Couldn't we do a bit better than that? I did like the incorporation of Murphy's kid and Cable's wife, although the dialogue was monotonous. Kaydick (spelling?) was a good bad guy, the actor that played his did a fine job at being evil, but he was still just a computer genius. Robocop has more important things to be doing, like bashing creeps! Oh well, it is what it is. I still enjoy it, for some of the little things, and for more adventures of Robo. One thing that I especially liked was the notion that Robocop was becoming obsolete, a similarly interesting caveat to the Terminator series, although they have beaten that dead horse to a pulp with Genisys.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote

I really liked those 4 films and dont forget after part 2 Peter Weller was done so they had to get some one else to play the lead !to me its PD was just as violent and good story like part 1-2 and i still like part 3; and all this i am writing i wanted to write there before it was locked !

RB 241

game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote

kinserfan11 :
they had to get some one else to play the lead !

Yeah.. and it might have helped if they got someone that was not shorter than my fatass and who actually bothered to research the character beyond what his name was.

kinserfan11 :
to me its PD was just as violent (like part 1-2)

Not.. exactly.

kinserfan11 :
and good story like part 1-2

I'm pretty sure it's well agreed even by fans of R2 like myself its story was rather shoddy. That said it's still miles ahead of PD. As for R1, PD can't even begin to lick it's piss off the ground.

kinserfan11 :
and i still like part 3

Also miles ahead of PD - this coming from someone who doesn't like it all that much.

kinserfan11 :
and all this i am writing i wanted to write there before it was locked !

Probably because we already have a massive topic going over PD right here. Perhaps you should give it a read and then maybe you'll see why your take isn't exactly embraced. Not saying you can't like it but you'll be in a very small minority. Just sayin'.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote

I did read PD there but to me it did not answer any of my questions so i started a new topic ! And Yes i like PD and really dont care if anyone else does because that their opion NOT mine !

RB 241

game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote

If it relates to PD you can just continue this topic since that's what its for.
That said, just what questions do you have that we haven't gone over? I mean we've covered quite a lot here and keep in mind the site itself has a PD section with gobs of info on it.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Who would have been a better actor and I don’t mean PW ? Also wonder why they added a extra Auto 9 to RoboCable ?

RB 241

game-xbox
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote

I have the PD on DVD now and i Have not watched in while and i still enjoy it and still say it is Violent as P 1-2 and dont forget P3 was pg13 and series was aimed at Kids NOT Adults !

RB 241

game-xbox
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote

What about the RC kills Cable? Or when he uses his spike to Bone Machine? what about the Robo Hunters using sledge Hammers or when RoboCable uses a sledge Hammer to kill a Robo Hunter?

RB 241

game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote

kinserfan11 :
What about the RC kills Cable? Or when he uses his spike to Bone Machine? what about the Robo Hunters using sledge Hammers or when RoboCable uses a sledge Hammer to kill a Robo Hunter?

I think in general, the problems with Robocop: PD have less to do with Robocop himself and more to do with everything going on around it. A lot of the scenes with Robocop actually doing stuff are good, and his confrontations with Bonemachine and Robocable remain memorable to me. What is utterly forgettable are all the other overdeveloped side characters and subplots that go nowhere. The pacing and plot of PD is utterly bloated. You could get someone else to play Robocop and retool some of his scenes, but if you're using that same script I think it would suck no matter what.

Now, something that I think could realistically be done is a fanedit. Cut out out most of the flashbacks and side characters and reel in the focus. There is not enough content for 4 good movies, but maybe enough for one. But even that would mostly be in vein because the whole project was just not built on an exciting premise. Sure, having an actor who disregards all past films to make his own interpretation of Robocop ain't a great start. But would PD really be any better on the whole if the Robowalk was perfect?

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Now, something that I think could realistically be done is a fanedit.

Something like this? Wink

Older fan edit where it is all cut down to a reasonable 3 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dpsOiMXMQ

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote

kinserfan11 :
Who would have been a better actor and I don’t mean PW ?

Again Richard Eden was initially approached and he would have been miles ahead of Fletcher. That said I daresay any remotely decent actor that was taller, bared even a passing resemblance to Weller, and most importantly actually gave two shits would have been a marked improvement as Robo.

Hell, Fletcher would have been a lot better himself if he cared to understand even a bit about how important Robo movements are to the character. The height issue could have been handled a myriad of ways. Sad thing is he did fine as Murphy in the flashback parts so it's not like he's a totally shit actor but he outright said he didn't care to examine prior media with Robo but rather wanted to make his own stamp on it - given the character has an established and iconic style of movement to him it just comes off as disrespectful and arrogant.

Quote:
Also wonder why they added a extra Auto 9 to RoboCable ?

Well given human Cable uses two guns it seems to be part of his personality so it would make sense to follow through with that for him as RoboCable. As for why two guns period - probably no other reason than cool factor.

kinserfan11 :
I have the PD on DVD now and i Have not watched in while and i still enjoy it and still say it is Violent as P 1-2 and dont forget P3 was pg13 and series was aimed at Kids NOT Adults !

R3 was still violent, just not as graphic as the first two. The Series was on network television in the 90s, no program was strikingly violent back then. That said the level of violence isn't strictly a marker of quality - It helps, but even for something called 'RoboCop' it alone doesn't automatically make it good. Case in point R3 and the Series though less violent (the Series very much so) are both overall considered far better than PD for reasons that have nothing to do with the level of violence. Meanwhile R2 is just as violent as R1 and it is still considered quite an inferior film - again even by those that like and enjoy it.

That all being said I know there was some good blood and all in PD (I ain't seen it in quite a while) but seriously fact of the matter is it ain't Verhoeven-level graphic. Think or say whatever you like but there it is.

RoboPimp :
I think in general, the problems with Robocop: PD have less to do with Robocop himself and more to do with everything going on around it. A lot of the scenes with Robocop actually doing stuff are good, and his confrontations with Bonemachine and Robocable remain memorable to me. What is utterly forgettable are all the other overdeveloped side characters and subplots that go nowhere. The pacing and plot of PD is utterly bloated. You could get someone else to play Robocop and retool some of his scenes, but if you're using that same script I think it would suck no matter what.

...the whole project was just not built on an exciting premise. Sure, having an actor who disregards all past films to make his own interpretation of Robocop ain't a great start. But would PD really be any better on the whole if the Robowalk was perfect?

Pretty much said it for the most part.

And so besides a couple throwaway queries that aren't gonna have any deep answer to them it seems we're getting another unsolicited dose of 'PD doesn't suck' that flies in the face of nearly two decades and dozens of posts of reasoned and thorough explanation to the contrary.

Bottom line, no one's saying you can't like Prime Directives - by all means enjoy it and don't let me stop you - but bein' real, let's not deny a spade is a spade here.
PD is mostly shit. While not every single minute of is utterly horrible, most of it is. It certainly doesn't compare in any way on any level to the original film - or much of the rest of the franchise, for that matter. To even suggest such a point is deluding oneself, end of.

RB 52679

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
it seems we're getting another unsolicited dose of 'PD doesn't suck' that flies in the face of nearly two decades and dozens of posts of reasoned and thorough explanation to the contrary.

Destroyed with facts and logic.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote

I have the PD Dark Justice on DVD Now and I dont see anything wrong !

RB 241

game-xbox
kinserfan11
O-L3

O-L3

TEAM EDWARD

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:48 am Reply with quote

Wonder why some say PD was NOT Violent? Look how many Robo Hunters were killed off; what about what RC did to Bone Machine? What about RoboCable did to Carver; shot off his arm then beat him to pulp with sledge hammer? Dont forget it was for Canada TV then in USA on SYFY Channel !

RB 241

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard