New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Would a RvT work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote

Robo-Vader :
Murphy decides he must protect John in order to save humanity.

Like Terminator 2 but with Robo instead...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Robo-Vader
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote

Soooooooorta... But Robocop decides too. The Terminator was programed too.

RB 66

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Greetings, Everyone.

This is my first post here in the forums.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a Terminator Versus Robocop movie. [I've usually heard it this way instead of RvT so this is how I'll refer to it.] I've been a Robocop fan since I first saw the original film in theaters in 1987.

Of course, I would want Robocop to win if he is fighting for the side of humanity. For the side of good.

I've read Frank Miller's TVR comic books (the 4-issue limited series). It's one of my classic favorites.

I think a TVR1 movie could TOTALLY work. If they use Frank Miller's story, great. I'd be open to an adaptation of it or maybe even a new TVR storyline as well.

Heck, if Aliens Versus Predator can have AT LEAST two movies, you just know we Robocop fans deserve a TVR movie. I'd even hope for 3 of them if they can get them right.

I wonder if there is a way to campaign for a TVR movie.

The TVR movies on YouTube (fan made) are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LMxEtsNh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXhio0KVM0g

Kudos to RoboSean as well!

Best wishes,
sidemachine

P.S. In my humble opinion, it HAS TO be live-action! I wouldn't want it any other way!

Не выбрана
RB 0

RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote

sidemachine :
Greetings, Everyone.
[I've usually heard it this way instead of RvT so this is how I'll refer to it.]

The comics and all three videogames disagree with you, buddy. tongue

But yes, it has to be live action! 2d animation is still seen as children's entertainment (and I don't think it'd carry the detail necessary for either of these worlds) and CG still has a ways to go before I can consider it to be a serious medium, though at least the entire "CG talking animal" craze has passed.

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote

RoboTrap20xx :

though at least the entire "CG talking animal" craze has passed.

Uhhhh.....

You sure about that buddy? Neutral

RB 495

RoboTrap

L-L2

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Eh, that fits in the "pointless remake" category (like Underdog or Garfield) more than "furry cg animals having wacky adventures!" thing, IMHO.

And I'm fairly certain that movie's gonna tank. At least I hope it does. What the hell made them think there was a market for that???

RB 13970

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Alvin and The Chipmunks didn't tank... it made $44million in it's opening weekend, coming in second behind Will Smith's I Am Legend which made $75million and is now the highest grossing December release of all time.

RB 18145

RoboTrap

L-L2

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Paddy :
Alvin and The Chipmunks didn't tank... it made $44million in it's opening weekend, coming in second behind Will Smith's I Am Legend which made $75million and is now the highest grossing December release of all time.

oh dear

Thought it released next weekend. That's shameful, America. You should know better than that!

RB 13970

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote

RoboTrap20xx,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Holy crap! Shows you how skewed my perception is.

I think this happened because my friends & I talked about the great AMDS fan films on YouTube in the months past and that altered my memory of the other titles.

I stand corrected.

I'm interested to know, though, which version of the title people prefer now that both of them are out there. Somehow, Terminator versus Robocop rolls off the tongue a bit easier. Sounds better. Even if I say "Terminator" first, I still root for Robocop. Same for the Alien Vs. Predator movies. I root for the Preds.

Best wishes,
sidemachine

Не выбрана
RB 0

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote

RoboTrap20xx :
[
But yes, it has to be live action! 2d animation is still seen as children's entertainment (and I don't think it'd carry the detail necessary for either of these worlds)

I think the country of Japan would like to present Anime as a substantial argument to that statement...plus consider this: If a live action version was done, chances are the budget would not be high enough to provide the level of action and detail the comics (and games) had. Instead we'd see bad actors in a movie full of unnecessary character development and a good bit of fooling with the history of both properties. An animated version, however, could bring massive amounts of action, fleets of terminators and plenty of ED-209s. We'd be lucky to see 5 terminators and 1 ED-209 in a live action version. A cartoon version wouldn't have to have the simple and "childish" style of previous Robo cartoons, but could have a darker comic-based style. Then of course their the chance of bringing Weller back, because he would only have speak some lines as opposed to being stuck in a suit. The backstory wouldn't take up a third of the movie because it would be created more with fans in mind. It could be more faithful to the established backgrounds. i think this would please everyone. A direct to DVD release wouldn't cause the studio tons, fans would be happy with the story and action, and the general public might give it a go because of the action and originality it would bring to a stale market.

Just my opinion, though...

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboTrap

L-L2

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I know that animation is a wonderful medium that can carry a lot of detail both visually and thematically, but I simply don't trust American animation to handle it with maturity. I've got Cowboy Bebop and The Animatrix on my shelf right next to Metalocalypse and South Park. I love animation, but I don't think an American production would really deliver what we want.

A co-financed American/Japanese project, however, could possibly work, similar to Afro Samurai or even (as an extreme example for examples' sake) PowerPuff Girls Z.

I'd love to see Weller come in to do Robo's voice, though. That'd be wicked. Very Happy

RB 13970

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote

If it was drawn like it was originally and they got Weller in to do the voice it could work...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
DAC1138
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote

I don't think budget is an excuse for not using live action. Look at the new Transformers. $150 million, and look at those machines! The effects shots would have to be CGI, though. Effects such as ED-209, and the Terminators. The third terminator movie had a bigger budget than Transformers, and it managed to do pretty well with its special effects. They weren't too bad, but good for its time. I'm sure Johnathan Mostow burned right through a majority of the budget on the future war sequences at the beginning of the movie.

FYI, Terminator 3 sucked because it wasn't kept in the same style as T1 or T2. By that, I mean T1 and 2 took place AT NIGHT!!! T3 took place in the daytime because it was cheaper to shoot in day than night. Not the way to do things. I know James Cameron would fork over his own money to fund the movie to do things the way he wanted if the studio opposed. (as was done for Aliens and some elements of T2)

The point of this babble is to show that it's not the effects, but how well you handle the budget. Michael Bay made a deal with the studio that allowed him to keep shooting Transformers in LA instead of Canada, in exchange for a lower pay rate.

Anything is possible with a given budget. You just have to manage it well.

As for a CGI movie, it would have to be done by the same studio that produced TMNT. Nothing else would be acceptable. I'm not too keen on the idea of anime, but I don't want to start any flame wars.

RB 104

Demon619
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Deadman Walking

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote

I think the movie would kick ass, it would be hard to pick a winner though

RB 0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard